• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Setting the Record Straight on Vanguard Eye Cups (1 Viewer)

There is an old post on this topic, but I wanted to add to this discussion to lay the record straight. Besides, the other post is too old to make comments on.

I have owned the Vanguard ED IV 8x42 since May of 2019. I took them on a work trip to the coast of California where I had excellent viewing from my hotel. I kept the bins on the coffee table with eye cups extended for quick access. I grabbed the bins quickly to catch a glimpse of something and the strap caught on the corner of the table and yanked the binoculars from my hand. They fell from about 2 feet (0.6m) to the carpeted floor and broke one of the eyecups.

I contacted Vanguard and they responded quickly. They told me to send in the binoculars along with $10 for return shipping. I did so and waited. Not too long after, I received my binoculars with new eyecups. I had taken note of my serial number to see if the whole unit would be replaced...it was not.

So the eye cups are replaceable. Vanguard may choose to replace the entire unit in some cases (who knows why.) I've attached photos of the broken eye cup below.

IMG_3041.jpg
IMG_3042.jpg
IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3044.jpg
IMG_3045.jpg

Well that is good news for Vanguard owners, and for those contemplating the purchase of some of their glass.

Andy W.

I always use bino straps (or harness) when standing/walking but wonder if (otherwise) they actually cause more damage than they prevent. I shudder to think that my grab-and-go Leupold 6x30 strap might some day pull another set off the shelf.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back