• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD+ eye cup structure? (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
I finally saw an 8x32 UV HD+ bin at a sales/factory demo this weekend and was able to try it (and some others) out. I wear eyeglasses and have been curious as to whether the marginal eye relief would work for me. It did work, but just barely, by pressing the eye cups against my spectacles and pushing those back as far as they can go. (I don't object to that.) So, they are workable, but just, assuming nothing changes with glasses or vision.

The factory rep raised an interesting issue, however. He said he didn't think the eye cups on the demonstration set were standard, and that they appeared to him to be "field expedient replacements" for something broken. He suggested the real eyepieces would give me another millimeter or two eye relief. He pointed to a set of (possibly) 8x42 UVHD+, with eyepieces that had very little/no ridge around it.

Would someone please post a closeup pic of the standard eyepieces showing the ridge around the eyepiece? Thanks.

I finally saw an 8x32 UV HD+ bin at a sales/factory demo this weekend and was able to try it (and some others) out. I wear eyeglasses and have been curious as to whether the marginal eye relief would work for me. It did work, but just barely, by pressing the eye cups against my spectacles and pushing those back as far as they can go. (I don't object to that.) So, they are workable, but just, assuming nothing changes with glasses or vision.

The factory rep raised an interesting issue, however. He said he didn't think the eye cups on the demonstration set were standard, and that they appeared to him to be "field expedient replacements" for something broken. He suggested the real eyepieces would give me another millimeter or two eye relief. He pointed to a set of (possibly) 8x42 UVHD+, with eyepieces that had very little/no ridge around it.

Would someone please post a closeup pic of the standard eyepieces showing the ridge around the eyepiece? Thanks.
I'd say it's a bit more than 1mm. Hope this helps. This is a 2016 model, if that matters.

Attachments

• DSC_1241.JPG
    DSC_1241.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_1240.JPG
    DSC_1240.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

I'd say 'the fit' you describe, whilst using them wearing glasses, is almost identical to their fit for me. Successful viewing of the entire field of view depends upon the thickness of the glasses frame and how well it recedes into the structure of the face. I should buy shares in Zeiss, I get through so many lens wipes wiping the residue from my eyelashes which is deposited on the lenses of my glasses whilst jamming the Ultravids into my face. A lady friend suggested I get my eyelashes curled. Hmmmm...

Anyway, my 8x32's were manufactured last July, so I'll post a couple more photos for you to study.

Attachments

• 20240331_085923.jpg
    20240331_085923.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240331_085809.jpg
    20240331_085809.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240331_085753.jpg
    20240331_085753.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
I'd say it's a bit more than 1mm. Hope this helps. This is a 2016 model, if that matters.

Anyway, my 8x32's were manufactured last July, so I'll post a couple more photos for you to study.
Thanks, both - yes, it does help. Both show ridges smaller/lower than the demo model I looked at. That may force me to actually do a try-out of the UVHD-Plus. I don't actually think my eyeglasses will get any thicker.

Bentley03, I'm considering using the lens wipes on my eyelashes instead of the glasses.

Bentley03, I'm considering using the lens wipes on my eyelashes instead of the glasses.
I get through so many lens wipes wiping the residue from my eyelashes which is deposited on the lenses of my glasses whilst jamming the Ultravids into my face. A lady friend suggested I get my eyelashes curled. Hmmmm...

Alternate suggestion. When planning to use my older ultra wide FOV poro with 10mm ER, I have my wife carefully trim my eyelashes using blunt curved scissors.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back