• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exciting news - my female Rufous returns (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
On July 31st I saw a female Rufous Hummingbird coming to one of the feeders, so I kept looking and yesterday noticed that not only is she banded, but I managed to see the numbers 39 through the scope. Last December (04),when my humbander came out, we had a double recapture - 2 females Rufouses which had been banded originally here on January 19th, 04. Their bands were numbered N39257 and N39258 and at the recapture they were color-marked on the crown with blue and yellow, respectively. Then later yesterday, while watching her through the scope at 60x magnification, I saw 2 spots of blue color still on her head!!

So this bird is N39257, which arrived here at the end of July last year and stayed all winter and now she's found here way back here again. It would be great if N39258 would show up, too, but last year she didn't arrive till the beginning of December. I would love to know where she has spent her summer breeding season, specially as she's only been gone about 4 months.

Here's a rather poor digiscoped shot I got this morning, but you can see the blue spots of paint on the crown.

Attachments

• rufous N39257.jpg
    rufous N39257.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 231
Helen,
Glad she made it back again! I saw my first ever Rufous Hummingbird over the weekend. She was at a feeder outside of Jasper, Alberta, probably fattening up getting ready to head your way.

Dave - glad you're getting to visit the National Parks up there in Alberta. Boy, I wish we were there now with these Texas temperatures!

What I find amazing about my bird, is that she was only gone for 4 months.

Mark - any idea how long it takes them to fly from Oregon or Washington across the Rockies and back to SE Texas?

I saw my first rufous in the mountains too here in alberta... there so nice but i find the more common ruby throated even nicer and there always at the feeders....

Garrett

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back