• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who says the EL 50 is too heavy? (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
My daughter of 5 years old said: no daddy, it is not too heavy...
I believe her ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Honestly, I was a bit afraid it would have been quite a heavy bin, but it is not, for me (and my daughter at least). Even without an harness, quite comfortable to carry. For longer hikes I have a lighter 42 and 32. A 10x50 paired with a 8x30/32 would be a very nice setup.
I still prefer the view through the EL 10x50 compared with the NL 10x32. The larger exit pupil just let my eye dwell around in the quite decent FOV. Although the light weight and the better focuser are big pluses for the NL 32.

The picture was taken today in Sweden. She was looking at a row deer. I saw some honey buzzards, probably preparing for the migration to the south. Crossbills, siskins, lesser spotted woodpecker, redbacked shrike, winchat, nuthatch, yellow wagtail of the nordic race and a moose all joined the club last days. And I forgot the black throated diver.

Just wanted to say to the people who are scared of wearing 1 kg, that is not a big deal when you like higher magnifications and value larger exit pupils as well.
The bigger barrels are nice to hold imo.
Kind regards,
An EL 10x50 fan

Attachments

• 20230822_094215.jpg
    20230822_094215.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
My daughter of 5 years old said: no daddy, it is not too heavy...
I believe her ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Honestly, I was a bit afraid it would have been quite a heavy bin, but it is not, for me (and my daughter at least). Even without an harness, quite comfortable to carry. For longer hikes I have a lighter 42 and 32. A 10x50 paired with a 8x30/32 would be a very nice setup.
I still prefer the view through the EL 10x50 compared with the NL 10x32. The larger exit pupil just let my eye dwell around in the quite decent FOV. Although the light weight and the better focuser are big pluses for the NL 32.

The picture was taken today in Sweden. She was looking at a row deer. I saw some honey buzzards, probably preparing for the migration to the south. Crossbills, siskins, lesser spotted woodpecker, redbacked shrike, winchat, nuthatch, yellow wagtail of the nordic race and a moose all joined the club last days. And I forgot the black throated diver.

Just wanted to say to the people who are scared of wearing 1 kg, that is not a big deal when you like higher magnifications and value larger exit pupils as well.
The bigger barrels are nice to hold imo.
Kind regards,
An EL 10x50 fan
Thatโ€™s adorable Reinier, treasure those moments they go by fast. I have three daughters (38, 34 and 17๐Ÿคช) and I remember those years like yesterday.

Oh , and I never said the 50EL was to heavy. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Thereโ€™s at least one grown man here that thinks a grown man canโ€™t lift them and this is some refreshing perspective.

I can also remember hearing many times that a woman or child couldnโ€™t handle the recoil from a .44 mag, but have watched both a 12 and 14 year old using a .454 Casull and enjoying it.

Maybe you can describe her holding technique for the benefit of those incapable of using such a daunting device!

Canโ€™t wait to get either one or two 12x50 myself and just love all the threads dedicated to them.

Thatโ€™s adorable Reinier, treasure those moments they go by fast. I have three daughters (38, 34 and 17๐Ÿคช) and I remember those years like yesterday.

Oh , and I never said the 50EL was to heavy. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘
I have two and the third is coming ๐Ÿ˜†.
I hope they will remind those days as well. Do your daughters still like nature?

I have two and the third is coming ๐Ÿ˜†.
I hope they will remind those days as well. Do your daughters still like nature?
Thatโ€™s great Reinier, congratulations. My oldest daughter has three boys, sheโ€™s the nature lover, camping, hiking, kayaking down, rapids, used to go skiing but sheโ€™s in Florida now. The baby (17) wonโ€™t look through binoculars , way to busy on her social media interests. She just got her driverโ€™s license (oh lord) Her and my son are the athletes in the family. My son (22) is more the outdoors type as well.

My middle daughter has mobility issues , so not much moving around, but she goes with me twice a week to a few local habitat areas , sheโ€™s the one with me sometimes when Iโ€™m taking pictures of the binoculars were using for the day. She really canโ€™t hold onto the 50โ€™s to long , she uses the Canon 10x32Is.

Man, does it go by fast.

I just returned from Alaska. Whales and Glaciers. I used the 10X50 EL without issue. The design does allow for a steady hold.
Does that mean you were at Glacier Bay and Juneau? You sure caught some great weather!
Heavy binoculars with a bit of heft are definitely easier to hold steady and thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m looking forward to getting a 12x50.

Does that mean you were at Glacier Bay and Juneau? You sure caught some great weather!
Heavy binoculars with a bit of heft are definitely easier to hold steady and thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m looking forward to getting a 12x50.
I was in Glacier Bay. Best weather of the season. We got to get close to the Sawyer Glacier at the end of the Tracy Arm and it was magnificent. The EL 10x50โ€™s were a joy to use and the views I will remember forever.

Last edited:
Ive written this before, still think its a fun observation, hopefully new for some. Couple years back we were birding on the Richmond Bay Trail, mid winter migration. Weather was awesome, birds everywhere. We came to the end of the straight section at Meeker slough and encountered two women also birding. As commonly happens, we stopped to yak. "Hi. How ya doin? What've you seen today?" Never had anyone balk at these social interactions, a big plus for birding culture. I could see around one lady's neck was an EL. I'm 6'3, 190 lbs and she I guess was all of 5'3, maybe 110. It was pretty clear it was not a 32, and looked about right proportionally to be a 42, so I asked her what magnification were they. Her answer was a surprise. She had ordered... maybe 1042s (forgotten now), but these 12x50s had arrived. Before sending them back she went birding, just to see. And that was that. The view she described, was astounding and too good to pass up, so she kept them.

Confess it makes me smile when I read here how big and heavy 42s are.

Last edited:
Thatโ€™s great Reinier, congratulations. My oldest daughter has three boys, sheโ€™s the nature lover, camping, hiking, kayaking down, rapids, used to go skiing but sheโ€™s in Florida now. The baby (17) wonโ€™t look through binoculars , way to busy on her social media interests. She just got her driverโ€™s license (oh lord) Her and my son are the athletes in the family. My son (22) is more the outdoors type as well.

My middle daughter has mobility issues , so not much moving around, but she goes with me twice a week to a few local habitat areas , sheโ€™s the one with me sometimes when Iโ€™m taking pictures of the binoculars were using for the day. She really canโ€™t hold onto the 50โ€™s to long , she uses the Canon 10x32Is.

Man, does it go by fast.
Hello Paul, thanks for sharing. I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Hopefully it doesn't affect her too much...
My daughter, holding the EL 10x50, thinks bird watching is boring. However, she was very excited to see the moose! She likes wildlife, like squirrels, frogs, crickets, etc. But apparently, bird watching is boring :). However, having interest in nature is a virtue. I hope my daughters will never forget how beautiful the nature is and to be "kind to the nature".

Ive written this before, still think its a fun observation, hopefully new for some. Couple years back we were birding on the Richmond Bay Trail, mid winter migration. Weather was awesome, birds everywhere. We came to the end of the straight section at Meeker slough and encountered two women also birding. As commonly happens, we stopped to yak. "Hi. How ya doin? What've you seen today?" Never had anyone balk at these social interactions, a big plus for birding culture. I could see around one lady's neck was an EL. I'm 6'3, 190 lbs and she I guess was all of 5'3, maybe 110. It was pretty clear it was not a 32, and looked about right proportionally to be a 42, so I asked her what magnification were they. Her answer was a surprise. She had ordered... maybe 1042s (forgotten now), but these 12x50s had arrived. Before sending them back she went birding, just to see. And that was that. The view she described, was astounding and too good to pass up, so she kept them.

Confess it makes me smile when I read here how big and heavy 42s are.
I was tempted buying an EL 12x50 as well, but I thin the EL 10x50 is more allround. I am afraid a 12 power is not that suitable for dense forests. When I go out I just want to take one pair of binoculars with me, that why I toke the 10x50..

I was tempted buying an EL 12x50 as well, but I thin the EL 10x50 is more allround. I am afraid a 12 power is not that suitable for dense forests. When I go out I just want to take one pair of binoculars with me, that why I toke the 10x50..
Got it. Sure, make sense. We and the lady, bird in wide open places over water/marshes, so the 12 has utility there. My main point was a bit different tho. Had more to do with size/weight of a 50...

Last edited:
Yes, I got that. Sorry.
I agree it was a fun observation. A lot of persons wouldn't take a 50 or a 12 power as a first choice. But after trying them they are not that heavy and 12 power is quite manageable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back