• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attach Nikon D80 To Field Scope 3 60mm Angeld. (1 Viewer)

It will work, but not too fine. You need a lot of light to digiscope and you might not have enough with the 60 mm scope. You can try it by using a 50 mm lens on the D80 and just hold it up to the scope eyepiece ( put the whole setup on a table so both can be supported ). Neil.

i've tried attaching my D200 to my 82ED with an FSA-L1 adaptor. even with the 82mm objective lens, i find it very dark esp. when using the adaptor it gives you a largest aperture of f13 (or f11, i forgot but definitely less than f11). plus u'd not be able to use autofocus. and i find this particular troublesome. i've experimented with this setup shooting a stationary perching robin at eye level less than 5m away and it still ended up blurred.

it's a very difficult setup even for the 82ED. i bet it's worse using the fieldscope 3 with 60mm.

I would try what Neil suggested and use a lens through the eyepiece. If the 50mm is too dark then try a 35mm or 28mm. It wont give you the same reach as a 50mm but it should get you some respectable shutter speeds. I've got some pretty good photos using 28mm lenses as others have too.

Paul.

i've tried attaching my D200 to my 82ED with an FSA-L1 adaptor. even with the 82mm objective lens, i find it very dark esp. when using the adaptor it gives you a largest aperture of f13 (or f11, i forgot but definitely less than f11). plus u'd not be able to use autofocus. and i find this particular troublesome. i've experimented with this setup shooting a stationary perching robin at eye level less than 5m away and it still ended up blurred.

it's a very difficult setup even for the 82ED. i bet it's worse using the fieldscope 3 with 60mm.

An 80 mm scope is an f11/12 lens so viewfinder will be a bit dark. This is why this approach works best in bright conditions. My view is if you are going to have to manual focus in a dark viewfinder you could be better off with a fast digicam shooting Jpegs with AF. I'm am looking for a light digicam with low noise at high iso (like the Canon 350 ). The new Olympus 420 or the Nikon D60 might be worth trying out.
Neil.

It will work, but not too fine. You need a lot of light to digiscope and you might not have enough with the 60 mm scope. You can try it by using a 50 mm lens on the D80 and just hold it up to the scope eyepiece ( put the whole setup on a table so both can be supported ). Neil.

i tried doing so with my 50mm f1.4 on my D200 and held against the 30x eyepiece. but the dslr was not able to get a focus. i wonder what went wrong.

i tried doing so with my 50mm f1.4 on my D200 and held against the 30x eyepiece. but the dslr was not able to get a focus. i wonder what went wrong.

There won't be enough light for the AF to work. You need to set the lens to manual focus. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back