• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books for New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Big Phil

I'm off down to Kiwi-land later this year....what should I take?

Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand - Barrie Heather and Hugh Robertson, presumably.

What about seabirds, will my battered photographic Harrison guide suffice?

What about cetaceans and other wildlife?

I look forward to your recommendations.....

BP

Last edited:
I also brought the rather large "The Complete Guide to Antarctic Wildlife - Birds and Marine Mammals of the Antarctic Continent and the Southern Ocean" by Hadoram Shirihai. It includes virtually any seabird and sea-mammal you have a chance of seeing - and it includes some new information and follow a taxonomy that is more up-to-date than the good ol' Harrison (which I also brought). In the end most of my seabird watching was with a friend who lives "down there", so I ended up barely using the books. Supposedly, Helm will publish a fieldguide to Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters in June.

Nice one Rasmus!. The Shirihai book looks like a corker, I'm going to buy it now for a read and then worry about whether to lug it down south later......

Do you know of a decent site guide?

Only newer site-guide I am aware of is Birds of "New Zealand: Locality Guide" by Stuart Chambers. It is useful in the sense that it lists species and then the best sites to see them, but overall I didn't use it much. On the contrary, several of New Zealand reports on http://www.travellingbirder.com were very useful. Luckily, the vast majority of ID's on New Zealand are easy. The only ones that gave me a slight headache were the large Albatrosses (Royal & Wandering group) and the Prions. In any case; it's an amazing country with some strange birds. I guess the only minus is the cost involed, as standing face to face with a Kakapo, Kea, Yellow-eyed Penguin, Kiwi or Takahe really is an experiance like nothing else...

Books recommended

Hi Big Phil,

Your Heather and Robertson is the best Fieldguide available for NZ birds. The latest revised edition of 2005 would be best. Even for the seabirds it is reasonable (though it is not detailed enough for all possible distinctions in sub-species which are in the process of getting a full species status. If you have the previous edition don't bother to replace it) Still it is the best on offer as far as NZ fieldguides is concerned.

If you can study the Handbook of Antarctic, Oz and NZ birds (Hanza) that would be a great oppertunity. Though I must state that the volume on Seabirds is outdated (again taxonomy) but still worth a read. Try a library?

The Harrison Pictorial seabirdguide is nice but I am pretty sure you will be lost at a pelagic trip using it, because of the number of species you will encounter. E.g. being surrounded by 4 - 6 species of shearwaters, fairy Prions, Cape doves, both Giant Petrel species and 5 species of albatross at the same time is quite overwhelming and if not experienced can be paralizing (certainly confusing!), but also very magic!!!

The seabirdguide issued by Helm and a special booklet on seabirds in the Southern Pacific are handy (I can't recaal authors names and I am traveling at the moment...). There is also a guide on NZ Seabirds by Brian Parkinson. Great photo's but to me it was not a substantial addition to the other books mentioned. Best advise for not missing on species "right under your nose" is a good guide familiar with the seabirds. But I am afraid these are few.
Compared to travel expenses to NZ the fee for a guide is a worthwile investment. Missing a bird in France is relatively easy "repaired" if you are living in Scotland. Missing e.g. broad-billed prion, Blue shag (subspecies of Spotted shag), or rifleman or a NZ Robin for that matter is a lot more difficult and expensive experience once you are back in Scotland! (and I do not regularly guide, so its not because of that.)

I have seen quite a few of the Seabirds by now but sometimes I am still wishing for a photographic memory!

Phil, enjoy your trip (I am sure you will!!!) and start studying the seabird plates and pictures!

Cheers,
Leo

leovb said:
....Compared to travel expenses to NZ the fee for a guide is a worthwile investment.

I fully agree with this statement. On a recent trip to Iguazu, Argentina, it was such a guided tour that finally added a number of fine species to a trip that was otherwise somewhat frustrating species-wise. Great waterfalls though, at any rate.

New Book Found!!!

Hi Big Phil,

I was the weekend in Kaikoura (report on seawatch and birding day forum).
Besides the wildlife I also found the best book to get yourself for Sea-birdwatching in New Zealand I had seen sofar.

The book is; A Complete Guide to Antarctic Wildlife
Subtitle; The birds and Marine Mammals of the Antarctic Continent and Southern Ocean.

Author; Hadoram Shirihai (who also wrote an article on Kaikoura in Birding World some time ago). Illustrated by Brett Jarrett. ISBN:951-98947-0-5

Illustrations and Foto's are great. The text is superb (my opinion) it gives very good leads to determine the species you are looking at. Also the taxonomy is very update in comparison with the other books mentioned.

Besides the birds the same quality is provided for the sea-mammals part of the book.

Though the region regarded in this book is a lot bigger than only New Zealand, it will give you all you want from a (not-fieldguide) book that helps you in recognizing Seabirds and sea-mammals of NZ waters (and all the Islands!).

I personally think this book is a joy to look and read in! The retailproce of approx 100 NZ-Dollar is worth it and compared to what else is on offer it is a bargain!!!

Cheers,
Leo

Big Phil

Try asking that nice guy John if he would bring along Field Guide to NZ Seabirds by Brian Parkinson to your party. It's a pocket-sized softback photo guide. The descriptions are short (but to the point and include tips such as "does not follow ships" or whatever). A few more flight pics would be nice, but the photos are generally pretty good and he splits the albatrosses (e.g. wandering into three). Handy little book, but don't rub it in that you are going there or I'll cry/poke you in the eye.

Oh, and if you are getting the H&R field guide, get the full version (or both). It's big but not that big and I guess you will be birding from a craft a lot of the time. Anyway, there's only a few landbirds to remember if you find it heavy to carry (and you are a big strong boy so you musn't grumble).

John

Nice but....

Hi Phil and John,

Yes I have the Parkinson seabirdguide as well. In my experience only usefull in addition to more extensive illustrated and written books. Or if you already have a reasonable experience about the seabirds in NZ-waters. I still do feel that the "antarctic wildlife" guide is the best value for your money. I use my parkinson guide as a nice "confirmation of determination" book.

Cheers,
Leo

John Jackson said:
Handy little book, but don't rub it in that you are going there or I'll cry/poke you in the eye.

Oh, and if you are getting the H&R field guide, get the full version (or both). It's big but not that big and I guess you will be birding from a craft a lot of the time. Anyway, there's only a few landbirds to remember if you find it heavy to carry (and you are a big strong boy so you musn't grumble).

John

Nice one John, I'd certainly like a look at the Parky book.

B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back