• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove South-east Thailand (1 Viewer)

robby thai

Got home yesterday from the latest trip and starting to go through the photos and already coming up with trouble.

Saw several of these Doves in Ta Phraya NP they looked very different from the Red-collared Doves I see almost everywhere, in the field they appeared bigger and they were all the same so if they are female R-c D then there were no males present.

Dont know if S decaocto has ever been recorded in the area.

Collard Dove.JPG

I think there were quite a number of Eurasian Collared Dove being introduced (released from captivity) in Thailand and they have been doing a good job adapting and breeding ever since. This individual maybe that species if the size of the birds you observed really stood out. Eurasian Collared Dove is about the same size as Spotted Dove (30-32 cm.), while Red Collared Dove is significantly smaller (20-23 cm.).

Last edited:
Did you get any more pictures?
For me, on this picture the bird looks better for Red Collared Dove e.g. the tail looks short for Eurasian (but hard to tell at this angle), the rump and tail looks rather grey-toned and the legs look greyer than I would expect on Eurasian. It's hard to judge, but the size here looks quite small relative to the tree branches. Another angle may help clarify if you have one.

Best I can do, first is the same bird.

Collard Dove.JPG

The next 2 are different birds taken on a different day into the early morning sun so poor shots.

Collard Dove. 1.JPG Collard Dove. 2.JPG

I think they are all Red-collared Dove; the first bird is small and rusty red upper part (not sandy brown that of EcD), the other two also don't show positive traits of EcD e.g. red claws, white eyering. Some RcD can appear to be larger than normal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back