• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darters in Norfolk (1 Viewer)

MarcellC

Hi all

Couple of days ago I was in Syderstone Common and managed to get some half decent shots of what appear to be darters. This is my 1st "proper" attempt at ID on dragonflies, so any help much appreciated.

Photo #1: I gather (from the very helpful ID pointers thread) that this is a Ruddy Darter

Photo #2: this darter has a blue-ish colour to the underside of the abdomen - Common Darter?

Photo #3: This one I photographed near the darter in photo no. 1 - is this a Common Darter though? zooming right in it appears the pterostigma is more brownish than the reddish of the Ruddy Darter

Cheers
Marcell

Attachments

• 4948309780_c621f8d359_z.jpg
    4948309780_c621f8d359_z.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 4948309486_14020c1d98_z.jpg
    4948309486_14020c1d98_z.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 4947722661_c759ce8efa_z.jpg
    4947722661_c759ce8efa_z.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 67
I would have said that all of these were Ruddy Darters although I am not completely convinced by the third. A good place to start on Darter ID is with the legs (at least in the UK). As far as I can see, all of these have black legs with no yellow streaking (hard to see in the third photo). In the UK that leaves only Black and Ruddy Darter and these are clearly not Black Darter. The rich red colour of the male in the first photo and the slightly indistinct markings on the sides of the thorax tend to support this. In the third photo, these are hard to see but you can see the black markings on the final segments of the abdomen which would tend to suggest Ruddy over Common.

O

Thanks Odonate; the legs were indeed black (what I saw when I was getting closer for the photographing)

Is the club-tailed end of Ruddy Darter a reliable ID feature at all? It's quite obvious on the 1st photo but not at all on 2 & 3 (which I presume are females?)

It is, along with the top view where you can see that the abdomen is thinner near the thorax and clubbed towardss the tip. Lets say that it is a good general pointer to male Ruddy (females don't show this feature) but I would not rely on it as a single ID feature.

O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back