• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One of the thrushes...but which one? | 10 March 2020 Izumi, Kagoshima, Japan (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

Thrush spec: observado.org link
Sho, Izumi, Kagoshima, Japan | 10 March 2020, 8:52AM
location: 32°04'49.8"N 130°16'47.3"E · 1272 Shō, Izumi, Kagoshima 899-0435, Japan (approx. 1 km south of the Izumi Crane Center)

I have not even noted down this record in my obsmapp app at the time, probably because it got away before I could get a better photo but..
What would you say this is? I am leaning strongly towards Pale Thrush (Turdus pallidus) but I would like your help here.
Obviously I did not manage to get a proper view of the head but in these photos you can see a grey bill, with orangy base and pale pinkish legs and an overall Brown mantle with some greyish edges. Which in Japan would fit female Pale Thrush I would think.

It was the 2nd hour of my walk from a nearby trainstation to Izumi Crane Center and back to Izumi (after a very long, but smooth, trainride the day before from Tokyo to Izumi). The weather was gloomy, so I probably did not bother entering this botched attempt. But the rest of the photo is pretty decent..plumagewise.

Hope to hear from you,

cheers,
G erben

BlekeLijster-misschien.jpgBleke2.jpg

Last edited:
After scanning all the images I could find for Thrushes in that part of the world Pale Thrush came up mostly in the Japan area.

Thanks for the confirmation John, KC... I will put it down more safely as - my first : ( hopefully not only* - Pale Thrush.

cheers,
G erben

*Luckily I still have about 8-10 days of Japan-photos to process.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back