• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just opinion on Zeiss 65+non Zeiss eyepiece (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,

I am a ¿good? possibilities of adquired a Zeiss 65 without eyepiece for 700 pound sterlind, also the offer of a eyepeice non Zeiss(a zoom Baader Hyperion 8-24mm?) for other 100.....

My question is if it is a good combination( spotting+baader zoom), if it is OK, or best with the zeiss eyepiece(more priced), and if it is a good price or it is slight priced....?

Thanks,
Wach.

It's a good combination. See some reviews here by Henry Link, FrankD and Sancho.

I have an 85FL+Hyperion and a 65FL+Vario. I've only compared them directly a little (on the same scope as the screw thread on the hyperion matches switching back and forth not so easy) but I think Hyperion is slightly less tinted than the Vario but with perhaps a little more sharpness at the edges. The difference is certainly not large.

The only downside is the Hyperion zoom isn't waterproof but the Zeiss Vario zoom is.

But it is a lot cheaper.

As I'm in the US I'm not sure about the UK pricing. I'll leave that to others to answer. When comparing prices it's always good to ask if the scope has Lotutec or not.

What is Lotutec?
Thanks,

It´s a water-repellent coating on the lenses. My Zeiss 85mm works beautifully with the Baader-Hyperion zoom. Bright and wide, although at 20x it narrows a lot. I use it from about 25x to 55x. I find it has less of a yellow cast than the Zeiss vario zoom, but it´s minimal and it may be just my subjective perception. I´ve never had a problem with the rain, and I have a 40xw Zeiss eyepiece as "back-up", in case of rain, which I´ve never actually had to use in the field.
Check the threads to make sure that the Baader zoom will work with the 65mm Zeiss scope, though. I´m not sure about that.

Like as if the Lotutec coating are best that the non-lotutec models, also more priced, but it is good the money extra of the lotutec models? I´m not sure on this theme....

Sancho, you have some problem with your Zeiss 85 non-lotutec?

Thanks,

Non Lotutec..It´s best?

If you bird in the rain it can help as the water tends to run off the lens rather than stick to it.

It's applied to both the exterior of the objective lens on the scope and to the exterior of the eyepiece. So you can mix and match them especially when you by used equipment e.g. use a Lotutec scope with non-Lotutec zoom eyepiece.

But if you bird in the dry (you are in Spain so apart from winter that would be true ;) ) then Lotutec is less of an advantange and so you should pay less for the scope or zoom.

Like as if the Lotutec coating are best that the non-lotutec models, also more priced, but it is good the money extra of the lotutec models? I´m not sure on this theme....

The Loututec versions of the Zeiss products were produced more recently and sell for more money. If the used scope is non-Lotutec then you should bargain harder on the price!

If you bird in the dry mostly then the Hyperion would also be even more attractive.

Check the threads to make sure that the Baader zoom will work with the 65mm Zeiss scope, though. I´m not sure about that.

That's not an problem, Sancho.

Both 65FL and 85FL take the same bayonet or screw (M37? I can't recall) fitting eyepeices. I've used both Zeiss and Hyperion eyepieces on both of my Zeiss 65FL and 85FL scopes.

Last edited:
Sancho, you have some problem with your Zeiss 85 non-lotutec?
Thanks,

No, no problem at all! No "water-repellent coatings" can repel the kind of rain we get here!;) As Kevin says, maybe bargain a bit on the price because of the coatings, but let´s face it, Humanity got by for about four million years without such coatings.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back