• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please (1 Viewer)

justlucky

The 4th my dad was trimming hedges and broke a birds nest and there were two hatchlings
they are robins and i have been setting them on a heating pad on low and feeding them tiny pieces of baitworms every 20mins
is there anything i should be informed about or anything im doing wrong? the babies are running on my schedule and not on a wilds birds schedule, so they feed until 1.30am and get fed in the morning at 9.00am

is there anything the hatchlings need that i am unaware of or anything like that? thank you

*please do not lecture me on i should have put the bird back because the nest broke so there was nowhere to put the bird and we have alot of feral cats in my area and i am not going to just put them on the ground and hope the mother comes back.

look i feed them until they are not hungry, they stop eating at 1.30 and get up at 9
they have just gotten used to my schedule.. i tried stop feeding at 8pm and feeding them at 6am like all these websites say but they are still asleep at 6am and wont feed

did they tell you they weren't hungry ?

look i am 16 i have a JOB and a LIFE and im taking time to make sure these birds dont die. if you have some information that can HELP me please go ahead and tell me, but if you are here to just make rude commentary then please do not talk to me anymore

Hi Justlucky,

The robins need to go to a wildlife rehabilitation center that is experienced in raising wild birds. They will keep the babies on a appropriate feeding schedule and they have the proper foods to insure that the babies don't have nutritional deficiencies. It is also not legal to raise wildlife without a rehabbers license. Here are some numbers you can call to get proper guidances: http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/maryland-rehabilitators.html

This forum also has a wonderful page on what to do if you find a baby bird. I'm just wasn't able to find it right now.

Does someone who's come to ask for help about how to keep them alive and who is feeding them every 20 minutes for 16.5 hours per day deserve rude replies?

Hi. I agree what gives the northern birder the right to reply with stupid comments like that when we have a Lady willing to try and rear these chicks, I say well done and I hope that you succeed.
Regards John B

Last edited:
This forum also has a wonderful page on what to do if you find a baby bird. I'm just wasn't able to find it right now.

This is is thread you're looking for ayasuda

Good luck Justlucky and welcome to Birdforum on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

Please let us know the outcome

D

That's one of them thanks Delia!

Please don't wait until the bird looks sick. Rehabbers patiently listen to people every year who try to give it a go. The rescuer often relinquish the babies when things take a turn for the worse. I'm hoping you will avoid this. Thanks.

Thank you ayasuda. If Matthall had simply pointed out that in the US (where this young man is) it is illegal to have birds (it is not necessarily ilegal to rehab all wildlife) in your possession without a permit instead of getting smart, the birds might have been taken to a rehabber 35 minutes sooner.

Justlucky, I know you are doing the best you know how, but that is the whole point of the law - to ensure migratory birds are properly cared for. Thank you for caring.

PS you might suggest in the future that the bushes be trimmed earlier or wait until nesting season is over.

one of the birds died, he was always weaker though, and the surviving one is doing much better. he eats regualr and all, and i am wondering when should his eyes be opening?

one of the birds died, he was always weaker though, and the surviving one is doing much better. he eats regualr and all, and i am wondering when should his eyes be opening?

PLEASE CALL A REHABBER. As has been pointed out several times now, you are in violation of FEDERAL law in the United States. Had the birds gone to a rehabber as they should have, the weaker one MAY still have made it. A google search for bird rehabbers reveals contacts in every state, but being in Maryland you are very close to the headquarters of the USFWS and I am sure they could point you to one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back