• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me save this goldfinch (2 Viewers)

katiejordan777

United States
Hello, a couple hours ago I found a bird sitting on my porch looking very low energy. I approached it and attempted to fly away for me, but could not make it far and could not fly high. I was able to get it and put it in a shoebox with holes. The behavior of this bird is very lethargic so I put a heating pad under the box and put it on its lowest setting. I was able to get the bird to drink some water, but it’s still is not able to fly up more than two seconds I was able to identify the bird, I believe it is a goldfinch I am from Washington and those are very common here. I’m not sure what to do and I’m not sure how long do I have before this bird dies I feel like if I take it to a bird rehabilitation place. They’re just going to put it down so I am trying to the best extent to save this bird. I’ll attach photos. Please look at them and help me if you can, I’m 17 and have no knowledge on birds, so any information will help. Thank you! Sorry if anything in this text is messed up. I am in a very frantic headspace because I want this bird to live lol

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4032.mov
    16.8 MB
  • IMG_4025.jpeg
    IMG_4025.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4027.jpeg
    IMG_4027.jpeg
    800.7 KB · Views: 9
This looks like a fledgling... I think you might of messed up by even picking it up. Loads of the passerines while leaving the nest will not be able to fly properly and will therefore spend first few days on the ground with no sign of its parent- as it will start to gain independence from its parent (its not abandoned). I'm not American, so I don't have experience with this particular species however from a google search it looks good for an American goldfinch fledgling.

Here's an article on it- What To Do If You Find A Baby Bird - The RSPB.

There's also an amazing video about it on the Korean birder channel- which explains how you should handle such situations in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back