• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation for great free editing software (1 Viewer)

gnosis

I shoot with the Nikon D2x and make my living shooting sports. I like to shoot nature for fun and relaxation. I have found some great software that I would like to recommend. It is called Picassa and it is free from Google. It automatically loads photographs in folders and rotates them too. It has nice batch process for autocontrast and sharpness and the cropping feature is easy to use.

I also teach as an adjunct in computer career and I have access to lots of high priced software, but I like the free Google software best. Give it a try and save yourself some money and frustration.

I would be glad to share tips on the D2X. It is a great camera. you can check out some of my nature photographs at www.wrmn.net which is a non-commercial wilderness site I am helping a friend build.

Free Editing Software

gnosis said:
I shoot with the Nikon D2x and make my living shooting sports. I like to shoot nature for fun and relaxation. I have found some great software that I would like to recommend. It is called Picassa and it is free from Google. It automatically loads photographs in folders and rotates them too. It has nice batch process for autocontrast and sharpness and the cropping feature is easy to use.

I also teach as an adjunct in computer career and I have access to lots of high priced software, but I like the free Google software best. Give it a try and save yourself some money and frustration.

I would be glad to share tips on the D2X. It is a great camera. you can check out some of my nature photographs at www.wrmn.net which is a non-commercial wilderness site I am helping a friend build.

Regrettably there isn't a version for the best editing computer available i.e. an Apple Mac!

Irfanview www.irfanview.com is a good general purpose free image editing program. I use it a lot.

Brightness adjustment is an option, as well as cropping, rotation by degree, size, colour, sharpness, file type change and so on.

Last edited:
Google Photofiltre (sic).

I'm a huge fan of Irfanview, but Photofiltre is in another league in many ways.

Free too.

It saves files much smaller than Irfanview for the same quality, and I find it's "sharpen edges" filter aesthetically very satisfying. And it just plain does more than Irfanview.

Irfanview is still my default viewer, but I edit/enhance with Photofiltre a lot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back