• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The stongest Talons? (4 Viewers)

documented prey item? harpy eagle kills full grown holwer monkey which are the largest monkey in the new world they have also killed ocicats & tyras

what prey item has a monkey eating eagle killed that is more impressive?

documented prey item? harpy eagle kills full grown holwer monkey which are the largest monkey in the new world they have also killed ocicats & tyras

I have posted it earlier in the thtread though.
I have also read about the Harpys largest documented prey, a red howler monkey weighing about 7kg or 15 lbs in 1995.

Here are some Eagle species records;

Bald eagle lifting a 6.8 kg or 15 lbs mule deer.
http://www.birding.com/birdrecords1.asp

The Golden Eagle takes a small mountain sheep or goat and carry off to it's nest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4irYqe5yjcE

The Philippine Eagle largest documented prey is a 14 kg or 30.8 lbs. Philippine cervus deer at a nest studied by Kennedy in 1985;

(Excerpt from the book Threatened birds of Asia)
Food: general considerations The variety and size of prey items recorded (from 10 g bat to 14 kg deer) at a nest studied by Kennedy (1985; see below) suggest that Philippine Eagles are opportunistic feeders. This is supported by various general statements from earlier investigators: Wharton (1948) described them as feeding on almost all native mammals and some reptiles, often catching flying lemurs, while Grossman and Hamlet (1964), evidently based on J. Hamlet’s personal experience (see Kennedy 1977), reported that the eagle “feeds on monkeys... as well as hornbills, and also preys on small dogs, pigs and poultry in native villages” and that “pairs may specialize and bring up their young on an almost exclusive diet of any one of these items, depending on the location of the nest and whatever is most available and vulnerable”

http://birdbase.hokkaido-ies.go.jp/rdb/rdb_en/pithjeff.pdf (ECOLOGY pp14-16)

Taking a mature female monkey in one foot in Luzon, Cagayan, I reckon it's a green monkey or Philippine long tailed-macaques-the only native species in the Philippines and weighs about 4-6 kg up to 9 kg for males.
Attacks a large python!...one of the most impressive for me!

"(an eagle was seen taking an adult female monkey in Cagayan, carrying it in one foot: R. Crombie in litt. 1998) and reptiles, and in addition giant
cloud-rats Phloeomys pallidus that weigh 2–2.5 kg (over twice the weight of flying lemurs) (L. R. Heaney in litt. 1997). Gonzales (1971) had a local report of a bird being captured alive after falling exhausted in combat with a large python."

Some say large eagles can lift up to 40 lbs. but I cant find the source of information.

regards,
Blubeak_2007

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
I'm pretty confuse d reading this thread..
Nobody heared about african crowned eagles ?
Despite their smaller prey these are by far the most ferocious and powerful eagles..
Thei species is the only one documented human killer..
Also similar rumors have been around harpy eagle too!
not only that in several ocasions , human remains have been found in their eyries , but is the last years came some police report in Sout africa, Zibabwe, Mozambic, in wich this specie is documented killing childs..
so not only the Taung child was the victim ,but african kids too.
This not mean that crowned eagle will automatically search and hunt kids, but in several ocasion, small children have wandered in the forest an for sure the eagle considered them monkeys, his hatural brey and ..attacked!
Also african eagle holds other records, it's the eagle that regullary kill the largest prey among all eagles, and the power of it's grip , possiply surpass harpy's grip!

My frined, african crowned eagle take regullary baboons, yes you'v heard me correct. Can you comare in terms of strenght an danger an baboon with a small tree dwelling monkey from Brazil?
And aven if the crowned eagle try to catch a baboon cub she is exposet to be attacked by the large, dangerous males.
Despite this , however, the crowned is still the predator, ti volved to be like this!
I foud a hunting report that cerifies even a more crazy news, Last year in Kenya na martial eagle was documented killing a male olive baboon!

they ONLY take female baboons which are nothing like the formitable males

harpy eagles have taken adult ocicats which IMHO is more lethal then a female baboon

I AM TOTALLY shocked at the martial eagle killing a male baboon i would like to hear more on that can u show us a link or anything on it?

My friend, what is that "occicats"? lol and lol!
You mean Ocelot cat ?(felis pardalis ) ?
If that so, they are nothing compared to a male baboon, they are enormous powerfull and have fangs larger than leopards...
The info regarding martial eagle is from an african game report magazine.
Why are you shoked, an martial eagle is capable to kill an human too.
If the eagle grabbed the baboon from the head -neck, the monkey is doomed !

they ONLY take female baboons which are nothing like the formitable males

harpy eagles have taken adult ocicats which IMHO is more lethal then a female baboon

I AM TOTALLY shocked at the martial eagle killing a male baboon i would like to hear more on that can u show us a link or anything on it?

Nothing is "shocking" in your great story, most birds of prey are capable of killing humans esp. if you're unaware and These birds wont just attack unless you came close to their nestling site, they will defend their young and territory instinctively. Even Great horned owls, golden egale, Harpy, Haribon etc. knowing how sharp and strong those claws and talons are it's not impossible for these birds to kill humans.

Like what Scuba0095 said, I think it would be more interesting or shall I say more relieable if you could show us the link, book or what ever source of info about these spectacular killings; like most of us do, we put the link/s of the Documents or facts that we've post. (No offense!).. I mean anybody can put up great stories like these and we are very much interested of what you are saying.

regards,
blubeak

i agree with blubeak. raptors taking on larger or dangerous animals can not be regarded as shocking, especially since they are highly capable and specialized predators.

but i must add that any predator of any kind will not put itself at risk unless it is absolutely necessary, and that such encounters are very rare. that is why we would be so interested and exited to see the backup information on it. it is not distrust, it's just that we are suckers for this kind of stuff!! (who would´t want to see a picture of a martial eagle having a go with a male baboon)

finally, and getting back on strong talons, i nominate the falcons especially the stoopers. not for carrying power or grip capacity, but resistance. hitting an object at 200 + kmh is must be quite something.

finally, and getting back on strong talons, i nominate the falcons especially the stoopers. not for carrying power or grip capacity, but resistance. hitting an object at 200 + kmh is must be quite something.[/QUOTE]

Falcons, actually do not hit the prey with their tallons at full force, otherwise at 300-400 km per hour ther will break their feet in ainstant...
In fact the falcons only slightly touch ther prey...they do tot receive teh fullimpact in theyr feet, despite that gentle touch, because of the speed the feathers are blown from the bird ans pretty often the bird is death by impact !

i agree a falcons power comes in its stooping and hitting when it comes to just talen power and binding to something they dont seem to be all that powerful

they seem to get in trouble tho if they just tail chase something then grab with their tallens if that bird is decent in size like when they do it gulls or crows it doesnt kill the bird and the bird ends up fighting back and taking jabs with its beak (dangerous for falcon)

Back to the strongest talons...
This is an juvenile crowned eagle female. This magnificent bird belongs to a friend of mine and a grat raptor authority who currently lives in Thailand !
This bird may soon became an crab eating macacs killer !

Harpy eagle talons...
the bird belongs to a peruan falconer, the harpy is 6 kios and 300 grams in hunting wight!
enjoy!

Attachments

• Harp%C3%ADaManos.jpg
    Harp%C3%ADaManos.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 278
Massive talons of a aduklt female crowned eagle!

Attachments

• talons2.jpg
    talons2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 199
  • ghiare 2.jpg
    ghiare 2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 158
huge feet of the same female of my friend from Thailand, in this pics the bird is a juvenile and the feet and talons are still in the growing process !

Attachments

• Resize%20of%20P4160038.JPG
    Resize%20of%20P4160038.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Resize%20of%20P4160048.JPG
    Resize%20of%20P4160048.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Resize%20of%20P4160052.JPG
    Resize%20of%20P4160052.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back