• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favourite bird of prey? (2 Viewers)

What’s you guys’s favourite birds of prey? Mine’s a golden eagle since it’s the fastest eagle (200mph), smartest eagle and one of the strongest. Also I get mixed up with the psi. I heard somewhere it was 800psi then I heard it was around 400-500psi. I’d like to hear your opinion and learn some more!

I love them all.....Golden Eagle, Goshawk, Hobby, Merlin, Peregrine, Eleonora's Falcon, Red Kite, Black-winged Kite, Montagu's Harrier, but especially white-phase Gyrfalcon and probably favourite of all.... grey adult Hen or Pallid Harrier.
Same here Nick. Location sometimes plays a part for me. A Red Kite over the Beacons; a Golden Eagle over a Scottish mountain top; a Hobby over the Somerset levels; or a Hen Harrier on the Uists. And there’s many more. All great birds. Osprey is another.

Rich

By hours spent watching them, then by far the peregrine (a bird that shouldn't be too difficult to see in Wales, incidentally). Hobby is a very close second in terms of enjoyment. But they're all fascinating in their own way, really. I think all the accipiters are amazing, but not easy to follow as they spend so much of their time in amongst the trees. Earlier this year I was able to get some great views of goshawks in Berlin (they're a park bird there!!) but once they flew, they'd disappear in a few seconds. Falcons on the other hand sit up on high perches and fly around in the open sky where they're so much easier to see.

Eagles are undeniably cool, but don't let the allure of size, glamour and rarity blind you to what can be seen closer to home, at much greater convenience and for far less cost.

1. Caracaras. There are 10 species. Because they are the smartest birds of prey. You know how smart these raptors are? They are as curious as a raven or a parrot! For example wild striated caracaras will FLY TO YOU, they aren't scared of humans! And they will try to steal your stuff like keys, shoes, pens, toilet paper etc..They can solve loads of problems! They are social. They can socially learn! They have been seen hunting in pairs! They love to play. They can count to 8! (Like parrots) They are very diffrent from other falcons, like the secretary bird caracaras prefer to walk. They are really awesome raptors, and not very well studied there was like 1 study done on the red throated caracara.

2. Common buzzard (Buteo buteo). There is a few reasons. They are very common here in Poland (one of the most common raptors). I really love the fact that no common buzzard looks the same! Some are more white, others are more dark, they have diffrent patterns.
And I love them because I got a chance to observe common buzzard chicks! They were like very cute, unaware of any dangers (sleeping on the ground). Even when they left the nest, they stayed in the area and the siblings were hanging out together. The siblings were laying next to each other and that was very cute. I even observed play behavior. And these buzzard siblings were flying over my head like 10 meters above me. I observed a lot of interesting behaviors. And I made a lot of good photos of them!

3. Golden eagles. Because they are very strong raptors. They can brake bones with their powerful talons!
A golden eagle have been seen to kill a female sika deer weighing 20-30 kgs! For comparison a harpy eagle kills something in the wild that weighs 10 kg. And golden eagles kill sometimes harder prey like foxes or coyotes, cats or even bobcats, mountain goats, ye and deer, and there was an observation of an golden eagle taking a baby bear. And ofcourse mongolians use them to hunt wolves.
Also I have read the book "Gifts of an eagle" and it really amazed me! Lady had a big personality, and was a very good mother, and very intelligent, and was strongly bonded with a human.

4. Martial eagles. Because they are very cool they hunt baby LIONS, and other cats like servals, also they hunt antelopes, lizards and jackals, strong birds. They are the biggest eagles in Africa.

5. Philippine eagle. Because they are very beautiful. Amazing eyes, amazing crest, their colours. And they are the APEX predators in the Philippines!

Favourite extinct bird of prey:
Terror birds (Phorusrhacids). Because they were like 3 meter tall birds! With heads the size of a horse! And sharp claws. They were the top predators of their time (until they moved to North America)! I will say that they were the most predatory birds of all time. They hunted mammals like primitive horses.
The reason of their extinction is not really known, some say climate change and others say it was competition.

I think thats all. Yes. I am a big raptor lover.

20230716171219_DSCN5640.JPG

Last edited:
What’s you guys’s favourite birds of prey? Mine’s a golden eagle since it’s the fastest eagle (200mph), smartest eagle and one of the strongest. Also I get mixed up with the psi. I heard somewhere it was 800psi then I heard it was around 400-500psi. I’d like to hear your opinion and learn some more!
I don't think an eagle can even approach half of those 200 mph, at least by its own means.

I searched the internet for scientific papers about PSI in eagles. I found none. I'm pretty sure that these 800 psi or 400-500 psi weren't studied and these are just some random numbers that the internet made up. I'm sure golden eagles have a lot of force, but how much it is hard to tell.

I wish I could read some references regarding golden eagles reaching 100 mph in natural circumstances. That's what I mean.
I found an example, not from a random internet site, but from a journal Nature. The scientific paper is titled "Speed of a Golden Eagle's flight", and in the paper a wild eagle was observed and it was calculated by F. Frasher Darling that the eagle flew at speeds of somewhere 120 mph. So that means that golden eagles can reach 100 mph.

Last edited:
My choice is probably the most pedestrian and boring, but on appearances alone I never get tired of seeing bald eagles every day.

And I love them because I got a chance to observe common buzzard chicks! They were like very cute, unaware of any dangers (sleeping on the ground).
They're lucky they didn't get taken by a fox! (and a very nice photo, by the way...)

Many years ago I saw a trained caracara at the Andover Hawk Conservancy and was amazed by how smart it seemed to be. That was a trained bird, of course, so not reflective of natural behaviour, but it seemed as trainable as a parrot. Of course I didn't know then that the Falconidae, including caracaras, are indeed more closely related to parrots than hawks!

The true powers of flight of birds like golden eagles are often not easy to see, or indeed to assess. You may see an eagle glide across a valley that would take you hours to walk, but just how fast is it going? How often do even the most dedicated birdwatchers get to see golden eagles travelling at their ultimate speed, and even if they see one stooping, how do they measure distances and speeds?

I think thats all. Yes. I am a big raptor lover.

I was thinking as I read your post that there are pretty amazing raptors you can see without going to the Carpathians (or South America, Africa, the Philippines etc). :giggle: Here in London I spend a lot of time in summer watching Eurasian hobbies (kobuz - Latin name Falco subbuteo) which can probably be seen all over Poland, even in cities. Anywhere with lots of dragonflies or swallows, swifts, martins is great. Their speed and agility is incredible. I've seen northern goshawks (jastrząb - Accipiter gentilis) very well in Berlin, in both big city parks and churchyards, and from media reports (links here and here) it seems they might be in Warsaw and other cities, where ironically they may be safer than in the countryside. The adults especially are most impressive birds. Do you see them regularly in your area?

I was thinking as I read your post that there are pretty amazing raptors you can see without going to the Carpathians (or South America, Africa, the Philippines etc). :giggle: Here in London I spend a lot of time in summer watching Eurasian hobbies (kobuz - Latin name Falco subbuteo) which can probably be seen all over Poland, even in cities. Anywhere with lots of dragonflies or swallows, swifts, martins is great. Their speed and agility is incredible. I've seen northern goshawks (jastrząb - Accipiter gentilis) very well in Berlin, in both big city parks and churchyards, and from media reports (links here and here) it seems they might be in Warsaw and other cities, where ironically they may be safer than in the countryside. The adults especially are most impressive birds. Do you see them regularly in your

I was thinking as I read your post that there are pretty amazing raptors you can see without going to the Carpathians (or South America, Africa, the Philippines etc). :giggle: Here in London I spend a lot of time in summer watching Eurasian hobbies (kobuz - Latin name Falco subbuteo) which can probably be seen all over Poland, even in cities. Anywhere with lots of dragonflies or swallows, swifts, martins is great. Their speed and agility is incredible. I've seen northern goshawks (jastrząb - Accipiter gentilis) very well in Berlin, in both big city parks and churchyards, and from media reports (links here and here) it seems they might be in Warsaw and other cities, where ironically they may be safer than in the countryside. The adults especially are most impressive birds. Do you see them regularly in your area?
I do appreciate my local raptors. :)
I live in a countryside. Here in my area i see a lot of buzzards and kestrels. And in the spring/summer red and black kites. One time I saw here a white-tailed sea eagle.
But I never saw eurasian hobbies. I'm pretty sure I saw a goshawk (but I didn't see it too well)

Last edited:
They're lucky they didn't get taken by a fox! (and a very nice photo, by the way...)

Many years ago I saw a trained caracara at the Andover Hawk Conservancy and was amazed by how smart it seemed to be. That was a trained bird, of course, so not reflective of natural behaviour, but it seemed as trainable as a parrot. Of course I didn't know then that the Falconidae, including caracaras, are indeed more closely related to parrots than hawks!

The true powers of flight of birds like golden eagles are often not easy to see, or indeed to assess. You may see an eagle glide across a valley that would take you hours to walk, but just how fast is it going? How often do even the most dedicated birdwatchers get to see golden eagles travelling at their ultimate speed, and even if they see one stooping, how do they measure distances and speeds?
Yep lucky. (Thanks)

I don't say that the 120 mph was their ultimate speed or antyhing like that.
F. Frasher saw that eagle, he looked at his watch (to see how much time it will take the eagle to ladn and it took him 1 minute and 45 seconds), estimated the height, and checked on the map the distance beetwen the point of the eagle rising and landing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back