• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of an odd shearwater, Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Laurie Knight

G’day Chaps,

I photographed this bird at 20 32 S, 113 37 E (in the Indian Ocean roughly off NW Cape). These photos were taken over a 15 second period.

To me it doesn’t match any of the classic Wedge-tailed Shearwater morphs - its underparts are paler than I would expect from a dark morph, but darker than the usual pale morph. The darker head plumage also extends to its chin. It might be the light, but the feet look a bit dark. It’s nasal area appears a bit strange for a Wedge-tailed. I’m not sure what is going on with its tail - the outer feathers appear to be short, giving it the stepped look similar that referred to in the description of Jouanin’s Petrel - perhaps it is something to do with the moult sequence …

What do you think?

Regards, Laurie.

Attachments

• Shearwater30.jpg
    Shearwater30.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Shearwater31.jpg
    Shearwater31.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Shearwater32.jpg
    Shearwater32.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 46
  • Shearwater35.jpg
    Shearwater35.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Shearwater36.jpg
    Shearwater36.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Laurie,

looks fine for a Wedge-tailed Shearwater. What time of year was it taken? Birds returning in August/September are in fresh plumage and often have a silvery sheen to them making them look a bit silvery.

Cheers,

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back