• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Possibility (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this is an old thread, but the subject never ceases to interest me. I recommend the latest book on the subject: "The Travails of Two Woodpeckers; Ivory-bills and Imperials" (2009) by Noel Snyder, et al. He reviews Tanner, etc., & adds new stuff. He blames shooting as a bigger cause of their demise than logging.

Re post #63, I visited my grandparents' fish camp on Orange Lake near Ocala, Florida back in 1952 & later. They moved down from Wisconsin to retire & bought a 20 acre fish camp on Orange lake. Although I think it was a poor choice for my grandparents, it was like a jungle paradise for me (15 years old). Lots of snakes, mosquitos, various southern birds, and a huge (to me) Pileated Woodpecker that liked a big old snag not far from the house. I knew about Ivory-bills even before we moved to Florida, but of course never saw or heard one. Actually, the deep forests of the Appalachicola region looked better for them, from what I saw as we drove past.

I see this is an old thread, but the subject never ceases to interest me. I recommend the latest book on the subject: "The Travails of Two Woodpeckers; Ivory-bills and Imperials" (2009) by Noel Snyder, et al. He reviews Tanner, etc., & adds new stuff. He blames shooting as a bigger cause of their demise than logging.

Re post #63, I visited my grandparents' fish camp on Orange Lake near Ocala, Florida back in 1952 & later. They moved down from Wisconsin to retire & bought a 20 acre fish camp on Orange lake. Although I think it was a poor choice for my grandparents, it was like a jungle paradise for me (15 years old). Lots of snakes, mosquitos, various southern birds, and a huge (to me) Pileated Woodpecker that liked a big old snag not far from the house. I knew about Ivory-bills even before we moved to Florida, but of course never saw or heard one. Actually, the deep forests of the Appalachicola region looked better for them, from what I saw as we drove past.

Hi Old Coot,

have a read through this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33968&highlight=ivory+billed+woodpecker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back