• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-throated Vireo at Portland ?!?!! (1 Viewer)

I agree with Tim, I would like to know the details of the hoax if it is. All I can find is that it is unconfirmed.

Edward in Iceland,
If I went for a hoax, I would probably go for a first for the UK to get maximum attention to the bird. I would steer clear of places like Portland which is heavily birded with only a certain amount of suitable habitat for a passerine (if I chose one) and therefore more likely to be seen by others. This time of year or fractionally earlier or spring would be good of course. I would have to think carefully of the species to be chosen and the exact place and I would steer away from first attempts at digiscoping. However, a picture would be nice as a tempter in that it should be not pristine as a picture but not so bad as to make the bird contentious as to the species. I would check other details in the picture such as the leaves and I have to agree with the post above that the leaves seem a little green in this pic. A coastal location in the morning after a night of drizzle/fog/general grot weather. The more I think about it, the more planning it needs. I am sure others will come up with a species and place and may even disagree with some of my factors.

BTW, I have turned off the car engine having warmed it up. BTW2, I would not be surprised if there is not the odd one or two there now in the dark because the ruin by the castle is floodlit at night and in certain small areas there, there may be enough light to go birding!!!!!!! - crazy

PS I checked with Google for images using both the common name and scientific name for this species this afternoon but drew a blank for this picture or something like it. I'm not saying that the pic does not exist elsewhere.

Last edited:
Cheers for the answer Colin, although it seems to me that you've been putting a lot of thought into this pulling off a hoax business. Planning one yourself? :)

E

Edward,
I wouldn't do anything like that. I appreciate the time and money that people have or more correctly don't have in many cases and something like this could cost people a hell of a lot of cash.

As I said the more I think about it the more planning it needs. I am certainly not experienced enough to pull it off even if I wanted to. I would probably get it all set up, species, location, picture, correct habitat, time of year, etc. etc. (the so called perfect crime). This would take some time to get it all correct and then just as I was about to release the news, probably on the net with a good back up story, the BOU will have lumped it the day before and I was unaware of that news!!!!! :-C

I think I would go for a wader which would just about eliminate the escapee cage bird problem. Strewth, Edward, you have got me thinking more on this when I have got better things to do. B :)

Thanks for that Darrell - car now back in garage.

For Edward, here is my hoax scenario. I will leave the species and pic for others to decide.

I am a birder who works as a travelling salesman (explains why I am in the area). I am driving along a coast road in southern England early in an October morning after a night of drizzle which has cleared. My car breaks down and I call out the rescue services. They take over an hour to come. I keep my bins and scope and camera in the car as I get around the countryside alot. The location is not far from Hastings (subtle and hopefully the only clue to it being a hoax). I spend the time waiting by scoping the nearby shingle beach (choose the right picture folks). There are lots of waders but one I do not recognise, so I digiscope it and look it up later that evening having returned to base. I cannot be sure (waders can be tricky right!) so I post it on BirdForum as an innocent id question. Michael Frankis immediately gets to the post first!! and id's it correctly and other confirm it. I go offline until the next day (nasty move that) and then post the details of my find. ;)

I see that the picture has gone from the second gallery that it was in at Surfbirds. I also noted that Mr Zinneman has a copyright feature on his home page so I dropped him an email to inform him that one of his pictures has been used as a hoax. I pointed him to surfbirds but I said the pic has gone and to our discussion here so we may get a new member if he isn't one already.

Thanks Darrell and all for the detective work on this!

For anyone that's interested, here's the e-mail I got from the perpetrator, to show how devious it was; apparently other people who enquired got exactly the same message

Michael

Hi

Thanks for your mail

I have just returned to my digs from an afternoon?s shopping to find my
inbox full of messages, all relating to the shot I uploaded this lunchtime

Being half-term, I took a few days off to do some birdwatching around the
Portland area. I must confess never to have heard of a yellow-throated
vireo, but will read up about it when I am reunited with my library. Having
now checked my fieldguide I can see that the bird was clearly not an oriole,
and I apologise to everyone for what has been a genuine error on my part.
You can?t see much detail on the LCDs of digital cameras, especially in
strong light, and I was so excited to have captured something that I didn?t
really look at it too much when I put it on surfbirds earlier

The bird was at Pennsylvania Castle moving slowly through the canopy as
you start to go down the slope. I was having particular trouble locating
the bird in the view-finder in the first place whilst also atempting to
stabilise the tripod, all of which caused some camera shake, but I am pleased
with my first go at digiscoping

Thanks to everyone who have mailed me, and I hope that the vireo stays around
long enough for everyone to see it ? I didn?t realise that there would be
so much interest in what I had seen!

Regards

Martin

>-- Original Message --
>Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:45:53 +0000
>From: Michael Frankis
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: 'Golden Oriole' pic from Portland on Surfbirds

It baffles me why this man went this far unless it was a bad joke. Surely if you want respect just be honest, even a fella reporting a simple Whinchat will get a teeny bit of kudos from another birder.

Andrew said:
It baffles me why this man went this far unless it was a bad joke. Surely if you want respect just be honest, even a fella reporting a simple Whinchat will get a teeny bit of kudos from another birder.

Unfortunately there are quite a few people out there who hate twitchers and love winding them up. Maybe this guy's one of them.

Jason

Howdy
to see why someone did this just look at the excitement/hysteria caused.
if this had not been uncovered so rapidly Portland would probably be swarming with desperate hordes very soon. Lets see what the perpetrator has to say first. After all it may not have been an attempt to wind up twitchers. Should be interesting though.

Tim,
I will be interested too and I will be interested to see what Mr Zinneman says unless he is also Mr Harris. I don't think he is. I get the impression, from his very smart and neat website, that Mr Zinneman will not be impressed that his pic has been used as it has. I will post his reply to my email if I receive one.

Damit!!
thats another 50p I owe to someone.
heh
I wish I wasn't so gullible.
Thank god I aint a twitcher in England! It would cost me a fortune.. :)

Just to put a final note to this unfortuate hoax.

Today I have received an email reply from Mr Zinneman. He thanked me for alerting him to the fact that his picture had been used in this way. He is amazed that people do such things. He wanted to get Surfbirds to take his picture off their site. I have replied to him and have said that this has already happened since it has gone from the gallery that it was moved to (He couldn't find the picture on their site and neither can I). He has read this thread and he also says that he is continually amazed as to the number of people from all over the world who visit his site. I think that this is now the end of the Vireo saga.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back