• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weight and lens and walking around (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Weight of camera and lens is a concern as I start to look at a new Canon purchase. I am thinking of a Canon 400 with a Tokina 80-400mm. That gives me enough range (400mm) for birding but also a lens that allows me to "range" into the bird and find it. Although a prime might be a better lens, it is easier to locate a bird at a lower zoom before getting to higher zoom.

But I am thinking about overall weight of all and and wonder what others do. Not just the camera/lens around your neck but also I carry a bag with binoculars, field guide and perhaps a monopod too, not too mention water etc. All of that adds up when I am hiking for miles or am in interesting territory.

What do all of you do or....are many of you photo'ing from "not so distance" locations where weight is not a concern?

I know I see folks at wildlife refuges with large lens, tripods, packs etc and I am thinking, now way.....not the way I bird. Thoughts? lmans

Weight of camera and lens is a concern as I start to look at a new Canon purchase. I am thinking of a Canon 400 with a Tokina 80-400mm. That gives me enough range (400mm) for birding but also a lens that allows me to "range" into the bird and find it. Although a prime might be a better lens, it is easier to locate a bird at a lower zoom before getting to higher zoom.

But I am thinking about overall weight of all and and wonder what others do. Not just the camera/lens around your neck but also I carry a bag with binoculars, field guide and perhaps a monopod too, not too mention water etc. All of that adds up when I am hiking for miles or am in interesting territory.

What do all of you do or....are many of you photo'ing from "not so distance" locations where weight is not a concern?

I know I see folks at wildlife refuges with large lens, tripods, packs etc and I am thinking, now way.....not the way I bird. Thoughts? lmans

Hi there, I have a 30D with a 400mm f/5.6 which is kept inside a Lowepro lenstrecker AW600. The bag is like a slimline rucksack and you can strap add ons to it with ease.
I have the camera with lens attached in the main compartment. Spare lens (EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM) and teleconverters in add on pouches. Memory cards, spare battery, small point and shoot camera, compact binoculars and other small bits in the pocket at the bottom. My monopod is also strapped to the side. There is room for a drink and a few sandwiches in the main compartment if you want to put them in. I find it very comfortable when out walking. All in I would say it weighs around 15Kgs. Regards. Neil.

I always walk with my 40D and 400mm f5.6 with it around my neck ready to shoot. I have a Optech strap and as 'Tdodd' as indicated, it eases the weight burdon quite a lot. I am a frail senior citizen but can walk for hours with this set-up.

Much easier to carry a camera on a shoulder strap than a neck strap. (Assuming that you don't want to go the backpack route, that is.) Your neck isn't designed to carry an off-centre weight the way a shoulder can. Or you could look at a harness system. Some people use them for binoculars and love them, no reason you couldn't do that with a camera.

shoulder strap

Much easier to carry a camera on a shoulder strap than a neck strap. (Assuming that you don't want to go the backpack route, that is.) Your neck isn't designed to carry an off-centre weight the way a shoulder can. Or you could look at a harness system. Some people use them for binoculars and love them, no reason you couldn't do that with a camera.

Good suggestions...all...I have always used a neck strap but perhaps the shoulder one is a bit easier on the body. Can you easily swing it around and take shots? I will look at the stores around here to find a shoulder one to experiment with.

The weight issue is just one I am going to have to experiment with...what works, how much weight etc.. 15 pounds as suggested by one of you. Not figuring on going that high but can if needed...but most daily 3-4 hikes won't need that from my view point and wishes....Thanks all

I always walk with my 40D and 400mm f5.6 with it around my neck ready to shoot. I have a Optech strap and as 'Tdodd' as indicated, it eases the weight burdon quite a lot. I am a frail senior citizen but can walk for hours with this set-up.

I have just looked at your web site,what excellent photographs.

POP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back