• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS... (1 Viewer)

Has anyone tested the OS version against the previous model? I'd like the OS but can't justify the cost of it so was long at getting the normal one.

I have and I found it sharper open wide and better at tracking moving subjects using AF servo. Also the 4 stops IS is really helpful when hand holding it.

It also takes the 2x really well. It is very sharp at 600mm 5.6 and perfect at 6.3 whereas the old ones I used needed at least f8 to be sharp enough (for my taste).

I know that it costs twice as much as the old model but it is a completely different lens and IMHO totally worth it.

The stabilisation is fantastic on the OS version - I reckon that it's worth the price of entry in itself: and speaking for my 120-300mm OS (and his too, it seems) the wide-open sharpness is excellent.

Indeed I did, I have been watching that thread with interest. At the moment there is no way I could go for the OS version (I don't mind selling some bit but am not ready to part with my 100-400 just yet). I have been using a 300 f4 recently and like it a lot and to get the 120-300 I would have to sell it so am just trying to work out which will be a better option. I'm giving it serious consideration as I can get a brand new one with the 3 year warranty at a very good price, but the offer won't last for long! I guess the best thing to do is to get hold of the lens and do some test shots.

Well I was hoping to get out this weekend and really shake the lens down in good conditions, but that's not going to happen now (frustratingly, the weekend's forecast up here is scabby) but as soon as I have the opportunity I'll post some more samples up.

Last edited:
Well I got the chance to test the non-OS lens yesterday and it was shockingly bad. The softness and lack of contrast when shooting at f2.8 made it basically unusable. Stopping down to f4 helped quite a bit but it was still nowhere as good as the my Canon 300 f4 IS at f4. So I've passed on the lens, perhaps at some point if budget allows I'll try the OS.

I've found one downside to the lens - nowhere in the North west seems to stock it :(
It seems to be held only as a special order lens, which isn't ideal if one simply wants to try the lens before making a firm purchase choice.

Hello!
I´m in the process of replacing my Nikon AF-S 300/4 with a somewhat longer lens. Its slow AF is the culprit. It seems to be almost as slow as the Nikon 80-400VR or the screw driven old Nikon AF 300/2.8 I had for a while.

I was able to test the newer Siggy 120-300/2.8 OS for a couple of days before last Xmas.It has a heap of weight but I could handle it nevertheless... As both of my TCs (Kenko 1,4X tele plus pro 300 and Nikon 1,7 with removed "stop-nose" ) had the af fidgeting I guess the Sigma ones would do a better job.

Without any TC this lens is excellent, even at f2.8. Furthermore I have seen some impressive shots with 1.4X TCs but I´d love to see some more examples with the 2X TC. The latter would give approximately 600mm, enough for my D700 and especially for my D90.

Anyone to share some of those shots?
Thanks a lot !!!

I purchased the sigma 120-300 2.8 in November and it has only been off the camera for Christmas photos. I also got the 2X and 1.4 Sigma TC's, as with you my Kenko Pro 300 1.4 would make focus jump. I think it is a fine lens and have been very happy. I attach a few photos with the 2x TC.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/395787/ppuser/40197

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/396870/ppuser/40197

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/394344/ppuser/40197

Or you can check my page mostly all shot with the 1.4 or 2X TC's

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/40197

Good luck,

Donny

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/IMG_0598.jpg

Size comparison against the 70-200mm f2.8 from canon (all wrapped up in nice camo which I'll have to get for the sigma now!)

Not managed to really try it out yet, the light is dull as anything so high ISO and low shutter speeds. Certainly not good enough trial out with a 2*TC and I really do want to make good early test shots with that - really see it at its best before I submit to the dull UK lighting ;)

90% of the time I shoot in 'crap' weather....those are the pics I want to see most!;) I live in Salford:-O

Good luck with your new lens:t:

Can I ask you fellas how you carry your 120-300's. I find the Sigma strap attached to the lens a bit crap but am apprehensive to hang the lens off my camera (Canon 7D).
I prefer to hand hold as this suits my style of birding so rarely use tripod or monopod.
I have considered another style of strap but would like to know how you get on first.
Cheers, Vince

I just use the tripod mount as a carrying handle. Works good for me and you don't put the weight on the camera. Since you shoot handheld most of the time just rotate the mount to the top.

Take care,

So you took the plunge ...good luck with your new lens...I hope you can snap a converter on pretty soon and put up some close crop/100% images.

Can I ask you fellas how you carry your 120-300's. I find the Sigma strap attached to the lens a bit crap but am apprehensive to hang the lens off my camera (Canon 7D).
I prefer to hand hold as this suits my style of birding so rarely use tripod or monopod.
I have considered another style of strap but would like to know how you get on first.
Cheers, Vince
I have received my Black Rapid RS-4 today and first impressions are good. Comfy and holds my setup nicely to hand on my favoured left hand side. Unlike the RS-7 model.

Large:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6896372259_c8df04d6f0_b.jpg

Fullsize:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6896372259_e108768d23_o.jpg

Results from a 7D, 120-300mm, Sigma 2*TC
f7.1, ISO 400, 1/320sec OS off taken from a tripod.

Only capture sharpening applied by default by RAW processing, no other changes were made to the original result out of the camera.

Not the most interesting subject and not that amazing a photo, but optical quality looks more than good enough to my eyes. Not quite as good as the 70-200mm f2.8 MII manages with a similar combo, but considering its pushing 600mm and for only £2K price I think that is more than acceptable.
Optical quality does drop down a lot it seems when shot wide open at f5.6. This is either normal or me slightly missing focus, but I've tried it a few times and can't get a good result wide open. That said dropping down 2/3rds of a stop from wide open with a 2*TC is good performance on a zoom lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back