• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that (1 Viewer)

Another year, another thread.

I had considered giving this a theme - mainly local birding, say. Or a target - a low 150, maybe. But I think we all know by now that the likelihood of me sticking to a theme or pursuing a target with any kind of consistency for a whole year is about as high as the likelihood of Joe McElderry covering 'Killing in the Name' and taking it to No. 1 next Christmas. (I wish he would though)

So, here is a thread with no particular theme, no targets, no promises. I might post regularly, occasionally or once and never again. Who can tell? For that little bit of uncertainty that adds the spice to your life, check in here. (Though I reserve the right to consider you really blooming sad, dear reader, if this is the best you can do for a bit of spice. :) )

Today the sun shone and having collected Euan from a sleepover in Huntingdon and put him to bed to sleep off the all-night Wii games, I headed off with my beloved for a yomp over the fields of Blatherwycke. But before I got that far, the list already contained:

1. Pied Wagtail, Corby
2. Magpie
3. Carrion Crow
4. Rook
5. Jackdaw
6. Woodpigeon
7. Black-headed Gull, all en route to Huntingdon
8. Kestrel, several roadside tween Peterborough and Blatherwycke
9. Red Kite, flying off over the icy fields by the A47.

OS map in hand we set off to follow a footpath round the lake and over to Fineshade Woods. I'd never walked round here before and I really must do it more often - this is a lovely part of Northamptonshire with pretty villages, rolling fields, hedgerows, ancient woodland and the odd lake or pond. We passed a couple of small patches of unharvested corn hoaching with grateful birds. Blatherwycke Lake itself is lovely - shame it's surrounded by private land.

In the order I remember them rather than the order I saw them, here is what I saw:

10. Greylag Goose
11. Canada Goose
12. Sparrowhawk
13. Pochard
14. Mistle Thrush
15. Goldfinch
16. Chaffinch
17. Bullfinch (nice pair in the hedgerows of the lane up to Fineshade)
18. Redwing
19. Fieldfare
20. Blackbird
21. House Sparrow
22. Wren
23. Tufted Duck
24. Mallard
25. Coot
26. Moorhen
27. Wigeon
28. Mute Swan
29. Yellowhammer
30. Reed Bunting
31. Collared Dove
32. Blue Tit
33. Great Tit
34. Long-tailed Tit
35. Gadwall
36. Dunnock
37. Robin
38. Red-legged Partridge
39. Pheasant
40. Little Grebe
41. Grey Heron
42. Starling

My lowest ever New Year's Day count but so much still to aim for. The gull roost, for example. ;)

Last edited:
Might be paltry to you HE2 but it's a heck of a lot more than mine.
Only 11 on my list so far...mainly due to being the driver on a shopping trip, saw many species that I couldn't id without crashing the car.

Nice day round here wasn't it. I didn't manage Mistle Thrush, Red Kite or Red-legged Partridge today, although I did see a few that you didn't ;). Did you see any Mandarins? Blatherwycke is a good place for them.

Nice day round here wasn't it. I didn't manage Mistle Thrush, Red Kite or Red-legged Partridge today, although I did see a few that you didn't ;). Did you see any Mandarins? Blatherwycke is a good place for them.

No Red Kite? Amazing. Easiest bird in the world. :)

Actually, I'm quite amazed that I only saw the one - Blatherwycke is one of their favourite places usually. No Mandarins, no. Walking up behind the lake is not a great idea because you don't actually get that close to it and because we took the detour up to Fineshade we didn't come back down the other side of it where you get closer. I did eat a couple of nice Satsumas, though.

Might be paltry to you HE2 but it's a heck of a lot more than mine.
Only 11 on my list so far...mainly due to being the driver on a shopping trip, saw many species that I couldn't id without crashing the car.

I think 11 is exactly the same number that I saw from the car, Keith. And I cheated by stopping for the Red-Legged Partridge. Much to the annoyance of the car which arrived behind me as I was still gazing adoringly at the Partridge whilst stationery in the centre of a single track lane. Oops.

Last edited:
But I have got red kite on my list, so far the only raptor. I'm working this year to try and get one of the local red kites to visit my garden, any tips gratefully received.
Tomorrow on the way to work I'm going to see if the local long-eared owl is roosting in the same tree as the other day.

But I have got red kite on my list, so far the only raptor. I'm working this year to try and get one of the local red kites to visit my garden, any tips gratefully received.
Tomorrow on the way to work I'm going to see if the local long-eared owl is roosting in the same tree as the other day.

Someone was talking t'other day about them coming down for bread! But I've heard of people in the past putting out steak in the garden to entice them in. Depends on your budget, I suppose. :)

I never saw Long-Eared Owl at all in 2009 - I need to find out where they're roosting these days locally.

Got a friend who's had kites take the remnants of the Sunday roast from his garage roof. So I'm thinking along those lines.
Hope you find a long-eared owl this year, I'm lucky as Fairburn Ings has had them roosting during the winter months for the last 4 or 5 years. I pass the reserve on the way to work so dead easy for me.

Pistols at dawn mostly. o:)
This is the new "sparkly" thread? Seems to be veering more towards the "snarky" :-O (through no fault of yours, of course, HE2)
No Red Kite? Amazing. Easiest bird in the world. :)
...but for this, ooo, I hhhate you so ... ooo ... I oughta....:C

You're already doing much better than I this year, with a paltry 13 so far on the local patch ... and not a single one of them was a Kite of any description!

Mind you, I did have a Cooper's trying to raid the neighbour's hedge for sparrows this morning, which sort of makes up for it.

Well it used to be just friendly banter but I haven't been around here for a while, what are Helen and Andrew like these days? Any recent disturbing behaviour on the forums?

Hello you. Andrew and I got married and divorced since you last appeared. He got custody of the Le Creuset saucepans and the Smeg fridge and I've never quite forgiven him for the hurt that caused. I believe he still bears a petty grudge about the Bolivian circus acrobat I left him for. Men.

That's it, you're fully up-to-date now. :)

Last edited:
This is the new "sparkly" thread? Seems to be veering more towards the "snarky" :-O (through no fault of yours, of course, HE2)

...but for this, ooo, I hhhate you so ... ooo ... I oughta....:C

You're already doing much better than I this year, with a paltry 13 so far on the local patch ... and not a single one of them was a Kite of any description!

Mind you, I did have a Cooper's trying to raid the neighbour's hedge for sparrows this morning, which sort of makes up for it.

It's all relative, isn't it? I've never seen a Cooper's Hawk :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back