• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Cheers Des/Jase

The second generation of Common Blue Butterflies were on the wing at Grimley today ( there was barely a first :-C ).

No sign of the RVD's as far as I could discern.

I was lucky enough to film Small Copper Butterflies in cop though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvNx8OG2ZI

*Warning* contains explicit images only suitable for adults ;)

Some photos from Trench Wood on Saturday. Thanks to John Sirrett for help with id.

1. Painted Lady
2. Silver-Washed Fritillary male
3. Silver-Washed Fritillary female Valezina form
4. Small skipper

Attachments

• Painted Lady comp.jpg
    Painted Lady comp.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Silver-Washed Fritillary.jpg
    Silver-Washed Fritillary.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Silver-Washed Fritillary Valezina.jpg
    Silver-Washed Fritillary Valezina.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Small skipper.jpg
    Small skipper.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 65
Some photos from Trench Wood on Saturday. Thanks to John Sirrett for help with id.

1. Painted Lady
2. Silver-Washed Fritillary male
3. Silver-Washed Fritillary female Valezina form
4. Small skipper

Nice photos John. I particularly like the form. Valenzina Silver-washed fritillary...a good find!

I have only ever seen this once myself at a Worcestershire site

Jase

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up to let you know that myself and Tony S observed a Clouded
Yellow
at Camp Lane Pits, Grimley this afternoon.

It was flitting about over the clover covered causeway between the lagoons at
the north end before flying off strongly over to the east side of the site where
we lost sight of it.

Regards
Jason

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up to let you know that myself and Tony S observed a Clouded
Yellow
at Camp Lane Pits, Grimley this afternoon.

It was flitting about over the clover covered causeway between the lagoons at
the north end before flying off strongly over to the east side of the site where
we lost sight of it.

Regards
Jason

There might be an influx then because I know there was a Clouded Yellow at Morton Bagot on the Worcestershire/Warwickshire border today.

Des.

There might be an influx then because I know there was a Clouded Yellow at Morton Bagot on the Worcestershire/Warwickshire border today.

Des.

I know that there was also one at Lower Smite Farm last week too! Keep your eyes peeled at Upton Des, you may get one in the masts field again!

Waved Black

Had a slightly worn Waved Black moth in the trap at the weekend. On reading up, this is a nationally scarce B species, with Worcestershire being one of it's hotter spots, but less so up the north end apparently.
It's food plant is fungi, lichen and slime mould and furthermore, habitat preferences of damp woodland make it a little surprising to bag one in the garden.
It is also a possible immigrant species, so who knows, it may be another Lepidoptera specimen to have drifted up into the county of late.

Attachments

• wbbf.jpg
    wbbf.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 50
There was a Clouded Yellow in front of the feeding station hide at the Flashes, UW, courtesy of John Sirrett, and I unexpectedly, because there were no spring Brown Argus, encountered a female early in the morning on the Ed Res " heath". Two Brown Argus were seen in the afternoon.

Des.

Attachments

• Brown Argus u side.jpg
    Brown Argus u side.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Brown Argus-female.jpg
    Brown Argus-female.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 61
ID Please

Can never get to grips with some Skippers so would appreciate help. First one Small or Essex, 2nd Large? Seen at Trench Wood on Tuesday.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Can never get to grips with some Skippers so would appreciate help. First one Small or Essex, 2nd Large? Seen at Trench Wood on Tuesday.
Thanks.

Hi Snow Bunting,
The first one is Small Skipper (if you look closely you can see orange on the very tips of the antennae...it would be black on an Essex).

The 2nd one is indeed large. This is indicated by the small lighter orange squares/panels against the brown of the upperwing.

Hope this helps
Jase

There was a Clouded Yellow in front of the feeding station hide at the Flashes, UW, courtesy of John Sirrett, and I unexpectedly, because there were no spring Brown Argus, encountered a female early in the morning on the Ed Res " heath". Two Brown Argus were seen in the afternoon.

Des.

Interestingly, I have experienced similar at Shenstone with Brown Argus. I only recorded a single one in the Spring but yesterday I encountered 2 very fresh looking individuals. On the same token..I hadn't recorded Common Blue at Shenstone until yesterday when 4 males and a female were noted

I have attached an image of a Chalk Hill Blue seen by Richard Eyres at Trench Wood yesterday at 3.00 pm. Needless to say,Chalk Hill Blue has not been recorded in Worcestershire for a long, long time and its nearest breeding site is in north Gloucestershire. The food plant, Horse Shoe Vetch, is present in Trench Wood but the habitat is not typical. The question of unofficial release rears its ugly head again.

Attachments

• Chalk hill Blue 1.jpg
    Chalk hill Blue 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 71
I have attached an image of a Chalk Hill Blue seen by Richard Eyres at Trench Wood yesterday at 3.00 pm. Needless to say,Chalk Hill Blue has not been recorded in Worcestershire for a long, long time and its nearest breeding site is in north Gloucestershire. The food plant, Horse Shoe Vetch, is present in Trench Wood but the habitat is not typical. The question of unofficial release rears its ugly head again.

Hi Des,

An article on Channel 4 News yesterday suggested that Chalkhills had their 'best ever year' at some sites this year. Obviously (as you suggest) unofficial release is one possibility but is it possible that this could be a genuine vagrant or are such sporadic extralimital occurences unheard of for this species?

A Clouded Yellow seen this afternoon momentarily in front of the Concrete Hide, it was chased off by a White species. A Brimstone was more obliging and stayed around for a few photo's!

Hi Des,

An article on Channel 4 News yesterday suggested that Chalkhills had their 'best ever year' at some sites this year. Obviously (as you suggest) unofficial release is one possibility but is it possible that this could be a genuine vagrant or are such sporadic extralimital occurences unheard of for this species?

That's interesting Dave. Maybe a monitoring of butterfly news relating to extra limital occurrences re Chalk Hill Blue this summer would bear fruit in determining the likely-hood of one turning up at Trench Wood.

Des.

LIVE NEWS...field full of Clouded Yellows...my first ever sightings. Possibly both sexes.got some windy pics...lol .
On newly created wild grassland...will keep secret as had some s*** before over bird locations....but not far from lickeys and bittell.
Keith

Last edited:
Hi Snow Bunting,
The first one is Small Skipper (if you look closely you can see orange on the very tips of the antennae...it would be black on an Essex).

The 2nd one is indeed large. This is indicated by the small lighter orange squares/panels against the brown of the upperwing.

Hope this helps
Jase

Many thanks for the ID, will note your comments re the antennae.

Today at Upton Warren I think this is a Magpie Moth and at Webbs, not sure if this is a Clouded Yellow or Pale Clouded Yellow although I favour the Clouded as it was very bright in flight.

Last edited:
LIVE NEWS...field full of Clouded Yellows...my first ever sightings. Possibly both sexes.got some windy pics...lol .
On newly created wild grassland...will keep secret as had some s*** before over bird locations....but not far from lickeys and bittell.
Keith

Sorry was in field at time of original post...meant to say not telling at the moment but can later if people need to know for study purposes.
Mind you there are so many sightings now they are almost common.
Keith

A couple of pics in a swirling wind....

Attachments

• Clouded Yellow..1 lower.jpg
    Clouded Yellow..1 lower.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Canon 173 107.jpg lower.jpg
    Canon 173 107.jpg lower.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back