• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which tele-converter with Nikon 300mm f.4: TC14E or TC17E? (1 Viewer)

Also, the Kenko pro 300 as far as I know is the only teleconverter that has passthrough connection so your camera can still communicate with your lens. You autofocus and VR will still work. With other teleconverters you're on full manual mode.

Apart from all the Nikon TC's..................

Ok, mate, here goes.............

I have a D300, 300f4 AFS (bought used recently), kenko 1.4TC, nikon 1.7TC.

The 300+1.4 works fine but the 300+1.7 the AF worked at first but then stopped. I believe it's the increased resistance from the TC and that there is a grounding/earthing mod that Nikon can perform (solder wire from circuit board/capacitor to the lens body) that will make it work. Other's have had no such problems. I have used it MF since but it's not easy !

All my shots are hand held but I have had plenty of practice with macro work with the sigma 180 hand held. Tripods are for wimps ! (j/k)

The D300 is light years ahead of D70 or D200 that I had previously ISO wise.

Here's a Striated Heron at ISO3200

Andy

Attachments

• _DSC3513.jpg
    _DSC3513.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1,703
I have the Kenko Pro300DG 1.4x that I use on my old non AF-S 300mm f/4 and D80. It certainly slows the AF with screw-drive lenses but it's not a bad combination if you don't need lightning autofocus. I've also used it with my Tamron 90mm macro and my Nikon 70-300 VR but that lens is too slow really so AF is rather hit and miss to say the least!

Hi Guys
I currently am using a D-300 with a 70-200mm f 2.8 Question... Am I going to notice any improvement in photos other than the extra 100mm reach if I were to purchase the 300mm f 4 lens?
Regards Redtail7

Not sure really - the 70-200 is, I'm told, a very sharp lens already. The 300 f/4 is amazingly sharp though, so you 'may' or 'may not' gain in clarity as well as getting the extra pull.

Really you'd need to try one out in comparison to the 70-200 I think.

I have both and a 1.4x and I find that both are pin sharp and to be fair the 300mm with a 1.4 is a nice combo the 70-200 with a 1.4 again is a nice 100-280/4 and you get vr.
If 300mm is all you need then I would try the 1.4 its a cheaper option and more flexible than a 300/4.
I used the 300/4 with my old D200 at the weekend as I like taking insect shots with it not too close as to disturb the critters, it is a nice lens.

Attachments

• comma-closed.jpg
    comma-closed.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 490
  • green-veined-white.jpg
    green-veined-white.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 484
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back