• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beetle and Damselfly ID please (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I think that the beetle may be a Dor beetle (Geotrupes stercorarius ) but I haven't any idea about the damselfly. Both were in the Lake District this weekend.

Dave

Attachments

• Dor beetle 9238.jpg
    Dor beetle 9238.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 163
  • Damselfly 9226.jpg
    Damselfly 9226.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 225
Dave Smith said:
I think that the beetle may be a Dor beetle (Geotrupes stercorarius ) but I haven't any idea about the damselfly. Both were in the Lake District this weekend.

Dave
Damselfly is a female Large Red, Pyrrhosoma nymphula Probably an immature adult.

Yep it's a Dor beetle Anoplotrupes stercorosus . I've seen more this year than ever (well out of 6 years since being here anyway)

Last edited:
CJW said:

I've met loads of immature adults :)

Seriously though, after they emerge it takes up to several weeks to become sexually mature and during this time they also change their colouring.

SleepyLizard said:
I've met loads of immature adults :)

Seriously though, after they emerge it takes up to several weeks to become sexually mature and during this time they also change their colouring.
So what's a teneral adult? Surely that's the correct term?

Angus T said:
Damselfly is a female Large Red, Pyrrhosoma nymphula Probably an immature adult.

Angus is correct it is an immature spm of P.nymphula Large Red Damselfly. The red colour will be darker when full mature. I saw several today at ponds in the Kielder Forest. Can't help with the Beetle, sorry I don't do Coleoptera.

Harry

CJW said:
The term teneral seems to have different meaning in different parts of these islands. for me I only use teneral during the day or day after emergence, and to me is highly suggestive that the sighting is at or nearby emergence site.

I used the term immature once and it was understood as being a nymph, so I've added adult to make that distinction. So I use immature adult for between what I term a teneral and full colouration adult

CJW said:
I see. Thanks.
Still seems a bit odd using a phrase like "immature adult".
Of course in this situation, there is no question its an adult, but I've got used to tagging on adult after immature, even though there are other terms for the pre-emergent stages.

Thanks for all the feedback and an insight into the terminology. I'm pleased that I managed to get the Dor beetle correct.

As far as the Large Red Damselfly goes, I cannot see from my copy of Brooks & Lewington any real similarity between my photo and the pictures in the book. I am very much a beginner at this, but how did you tell? I did realise that it was probably only recently emerged and so ignored the colour in looking for an ID. I tried to see any pattern in the black marks down its back - without success.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

There are only two red damselfly species in Europe. This is clearly an adult that has not acquired its full colour yet... but it's not hard to tell that it's going to be red. Small red damselfy is not closely related and much more restricted in range. If you imagine the animal with all the yellowish bits as red, it looks v. like the illustration in Brooks and Lewington!

I have 1999 version of Brooks and illustrated in it are 3 forms of female Large red. The black markings on top of the abdomen match that of f. intermedia. As Ken says, its obvious whats going to be red. The thorax colouration will change as well but the pattern matches as well.
With the blues, once they've been emerged for a few hours it can be seen what it going to be blue in them, though it may take days to get to the full blue colouration.

HTH

Ok thanks for that. I think my main mistake was not realising that it would be red. I also thought that intermedia was the closest but it didn't seem quite right near the end.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back