• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Nikon USA Warranty Report (1 Viewer)

BruceH

I just spoke with a birding friend who, after seeing my Nikon EDG II 8X32, bought a new one (EDG II 8X32) for himself over a year and a half ago.

He is a very active birder and has used them extensively in and out of the country and has been extremely pleased with the performance.

Recently he noticed two very small bubbles in the covering and called Nikon USA about it. He said the Nikon lady was very courteous and helpful and requested that he send them in so they could take a look. The only other comment he made to me about his unit was the focus mechanism was very good, but apparently not quite as good as mine. He never mentioned that to Nikon. He only requested that they look at the small bubbles in the covering.

Anyway, he sent his back to Nikon USA and a short time later he received a box from Nikon with a brand new EDG II replacement, including a new box and everything that comes with a new purchase. He said the focus is perfect on this one and he could not be happier. He asked that I share his experience on the forum.

Last edited:
I recently had a very good experience with Nikon USA Warranty service. I own a Nikon 10x25 Premier LX. I purchased it about 7 years ago. About 3 years ago, I dropped it onto a concrete surface and it went out of collimation. Busy time of my life and I didn't get around to sending it back to Nikon until about 3 months ago. I expected to pay for the service, as my problem was not due to a Nikon manufacturing defect.

To my surprise, they repaired it at no cost. View is excellent again.

I had excellent service resolving problems that cropped up with my 10x32 EDG I.

Last June I sent it in for repairs because the armor was bubbling and coming loose and the corrugated rubber covering on the focus wheel had stretched loose affecting its focusing. I purchased it in July of 2010 for $999.00 when they were being closed out and got a Nikon SLR with it and I used the binocular happily for nearly 4 years. It did not have a problem with the diopter. I liked it so much I would have been happy to get it back repaired. Instead, Nikon sent me a new 10x32 EDG II to replace it. The service was prompt and efficient and completed in about 3 weeks. It was delayed a week or so because Nikon America had to get the new binocular from Japan. Nikon kept me posted on everything.

I should note that the covering on the EDG II is much harder than the covering on the EDG I which was cushioned. It doesn't look to me that it will be susceptible to "bubbling" but I haven't used it nearly as hard as I did the 1st one to date.

And I do like the traditional bridge design of the EDG II as opposed to the EDG I. The hinges on the latter did not have their edges rounded off and were heavy and thick compared to those on the Swarovski EL and there wasn't much room for my fingers inside the hinges.

Bob

Last edited:
I just spoke with a birding friend who, after seeing my Nikon EDG II 8X32, bought a new one (EDG II 8X32) for himself over a year and a half ago.

He is a very active birder and has used them extensively in and out of the country and has been extremely pleased with the performance.

Recently he noticed two very small bubbles in the covering and called Nikon USA about it. He said the Nikon lady was very courteous and helpful and requested that he send them in so they could take a look. The only other comment he made to me about his unit was the focus mechanism was very good, but apparently not quite as good as mine. He never mentioned that to Nikon. He only requested that they look at the small bubbles in the covering.

Anyway, he sent his back to Nikon USA and a short time later he received a box from Nikon with a brand new EDG II replacement, including a new box and everything that comes with a new purchase. He said the focus is perfect on this one and he could not be happier. He asked that I share his experience on the forum.

It appears that when it comes to EDG repairs, Nikon's policy is to replace rather than repair them. I can understand why they did that with Bob's EDG I, but not sure why they are still doing it with EDG IIs. Your friend's original unit will probably show up on eBay as a refurb.

I am disappointed that Nikon dropped its No Fault policy on its used binoculars.

<B>

It appears that when it comes to EDG repairs, Nikon's policy is to replace rather than repair them. I can understand why they did that with Bob's EDG I, but not sure why they are still doing it with EDG IIs. Your friend's original unit will probably show up on eBay as a refurb.

I am disappointed that Nikon dropped its No Fault policy on its used binoculars.

<B>

Which is another reason why I have no intention of sending my 15 year old 8x30 EII with its bubbling thin rubber "armor" to Nikon for repairs. :eek!:

I want it back and I have no idea what binocular they would replace it with.

Bob

Which is another reason why I have no intention of sending my 15 year old 8x30 EII with its bubbling thin rubber "armor" to Nikon for repairs. :eek!:

Bob

Perhaps with an 8x30 M7. Jerry sent his 10x35 E (I think it was an E, not EII) for repairs, and Nikon replaced it with a 10x42 M7. If it was an E, the M7 was an upgrade, albeit without the 3-D Porro view, but it wouldn't have been an upgrade with a 10x35 EII, particularly a black body EII with better bubble-proof armor. It's my favorite 10x bin.

One BF member who sent his EII to Nikon for repairs ended up with an 8x32 SE, which was a pretty good replacement. Of course, now that the SE is discontinued, you're going to get a roof.

Brock

I, too, am disappointed on that account.

Haven't seen a post by you in a while. Did Nikon sort out the problems with your 10x42 HG? They might have replaced it with a 10x42 HGL. To my eyes, the colors aren't as "true" in the HGL, but the lighter weight sure felt better on my arms and neck.

Brock

I had excellent service resolving problems that cropped up with my 10x32 EDG I.

Last June I sent it in for repairs because the armor was bubbling and coming loose and the corrugated rubber covering on the focus wheel had stretched loose affecting its focusing. I purchased it in July of 2010 for $999.00 when they were being closed out and got a Nikon SLR with it and I used the binocular happily for nearly 4 years. It did not have a problem with the diopter. I liked it so much I would have been happy to get it back repaired. Instead, Nikon sent me a new 10x32 EDG II to replace it. The service was prompt and efficient and completed in about 3 weeks. It was delayed a week or so because Nikon America had to get the new binocular from Japan. Nikon kept me posted on everything.

I should note that the covering on the EDG II is much harder than the covering on the EDG I which was cushioned. It doesn't look to me that it will be susceptible to "bubbling" but I haven't used it nearly as hard as I did the 1st one to date.

And I do like the traditional bridge design of the EDG II as opposed to the EDG I. The hinges on the latter did not have their edges rounded off and were heavy and thick compared to those on the Swarovski EL and there wasn't much room for my fingers inside the hinges.

Bob

We rarely agree on bins, but I do agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the open bridge design of the EDG I - cramped space, sharp edges on the hinges, and there were also caps hat had sharp indents around the rim that protruded to the open space that also stuck into the fingers.

The new SF's open space looks so generous I bet my fingers could "swim" in there. If somebody wants to take me up on that bet, please send me your SF. ;)

Brock

Bob

So in case of an exchange, they dont contact the customer prior to this? You send in your bino and might get anything else back without prior consulting? That would be not much of a good service, IMO.

One BF member who sent his EII to Nikon for repairs ended up with an 8x32 SE, which was a pretty good replacement. Of course, now that the SE is discontinued, you're going to get a roof.

That would be me. I was at first disappointed at losing the EIIs, and thought several times about selling my SEs, but even after getting another set of EIIs, I am keeping the SEs. They are very good.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back