• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Very nice bird. I've always liked Waterthrushes ( even though I have been know to wander off trail for a little swear when trying to separate the two ;) ).

Chris

Hello all,

Although the weather has improved, the watching birds has not. I still see waterthrushes and house finches, but my best bird was a downy woodpecker, not seen for many weeks. Strangely, I have not seen any night herons for several days.

I am still visiting many mornings, each week.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello,

The autumnal migration has accelerated and my walks in Central Park have brought some new birds. In the last week, I thought I saw black and white warblers, which turned into downy woodpeckers. Yesterday, I actually saw a black and white warbler, as well as a ruby crowned kinglet, and a northern flicker and a. This morning, I saw a red bellied woodpecker, a warbling vireo and a flycatcher, too distant to identify with certainty but I think it was a least flycatcher, as it was rather white below the chest.

Happy bird watching,

Hello,

The autumnal migration has accelerated and my walks in Central Park have brought some new birds. In the last week, I thought I saw black and white warblers, which turned into downy woodpeckers. Yesterday, I actually saw a black and white warbler, as well as a ruby crowned kinglet, and a northern flicker and a. This morning, I saw a red bellied woodpecker, a warbling vireo and a flycatcher, too distant to identify with certainty but I think it was a least flycatcher, as it was rather white below the chest.

Happy bird watching,

Can second this report, it's great to see them coming back to the Park!
Hooded, Canada and Parula Warbler were on display, also a couple of Phoebes. However, a mother raccoon with three supercute babies playing by the Oak Bridge stole the audience.

Can second this report, it's great to see them coming back to the Park!
Hooded, Canada and Parula Warbler were on display, also a couple of Phoebes. However, a mother raccoon with three supercute babies playing by the Oak Bridge stole the audience.
Hello Étudiant,

A few feet north of Oak Bridge, on either side, there are culverts which empty into Bank Rock Pool. in dry weather, they are home to at least one raccoon.

Happy bird watching,

Hello Étudiant,

A few feet north of Oak Bridge, on either side, there are culverts which empty into Bank Rock Pool. in dry weather, they are home to at least one raccoon.

Happy bird watching,

You could have been there, that is exactly where they were.
The mother would disappear into the culvert at times, but the babies were entranced by snacks thrown down by the visitors. Enough camera gear there to cover an Olympic event.

Woody

Hell all,

The migration is ongoing, but I am having little luck: a common yellowthroat, more woodpeckers, and hearing a wren.

However, today I saw a male wood duck, on Turtle Pond. It may have been the same one, reported last week. Any day, I see a wood duck, is a good day.

Happy bird watching,

Desperate

Hello all,

I have seen more house finches, but today brought a Canadian warbler. Yesterday, I go to have my first good look at a tree swallow. It landed across the Lake, opposite Hernshead. The distance was great, so I took a prone position on the rocks, to steady my 8x glass. Basically, I saw its form in flight and confirmed the white breast when it was on the ground. For all the swallows which I have seen in flight, this was the first swallow I have observed, on the ground.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Hello all,

The migration continues but I cannot find anything new. I have seen a peewee, prairie warbler, many black and white warblers, a veery, and an American redstart. This year I have seen many house finches, including a juvenile, all within a 150 m. radius, so I may have just seen one nesting pair and its offspring.
For the record, I almost always use an 8x32 binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

a better day

Hello all,

I woke this morning to a temperature of 19ºC, and the air was dry as a Canadian high pressure had moved in, last night, when we had 4 cm. of rain. The front probably brought more birds to Central Park.

On my walk the first bird of note was a northern flicker. Then I saw a hermit thrush, and an ovenbird, and a prothonotary warbler. In the Ramble, I also caught a glimpse of red-eyed vireo. Flycatchers abound but I will only write that I saw a least flycatcher, for sure.
Images by Agassiz

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 32
  • prothonotary.jpg
    prothonotary.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hello all,
On my walk the first bird of note was a northern flicker. Then I saw a hermit thrush, and an ovenbird, and a prothonotary warbler. Images by Agassiz

Happy bird watching,

Wow Arthur, that prothonotary is a really good bird.
Any chance you could post it on ebirds or on ebirdnyc?

Wow Arthur, that prothonotary is a really good bird.
Any chance you could post it on ebirds or on ebirdnyc?

Hello Étudiant,

I am never absolutely certain about my identifications. This bird had a yellow head, yellow breast and very dark wings. Looking at Peterson's, prothonotary seemed to fit.
Could I have been confused?

Happy bird watching,

Autumnal delights

Hello all,

I woke up this morning to a temperature of 13ºC, and a very clear morning. I got my Irish tweed jacket and cap out and took my untried 6.5x32 Meopta Pro, out for bird watching.

North of the Lennon Memorial, in Strawberry Fields, I saw a bunch of bird watchers and joined them, at least one was a familiar face. First, I will mention a bay breasted warbler, a female I guess, but I have posted male, female and immature, next a blue winged, a Tennessee warbler , a pine warbler and finally a northern parula.
All images are by Agassiz from Eaton.
My last sighting involved the very helpful bird watcher who was standing, next to me. He mentioned a friend's post on BF, of the prothonotary warbler, when I talked about my sighting. I asked who posted that bird, to which he replied, "Pinewood," to which I replied, "I am he." Then Ėtudiant introduced himself. For years, we have probably been crossing paths.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Attachments

• blue winged.jpg
    blue winged.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Tennessee warbler.jpg
    Tennessee warbler.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Bay breasted.jpg
    Bay breasted.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hello all,

I woke up this morning to a temperature of 13ºC, and a very clear morning. I got my Irish tweed jacket and cap out and took my untried 6.5x32 Meopta Pro, out for bird watching.
Happy bird watching,

Aside from being a dedicated birder and a great correspondent, Pinewood wins the 'Best Dressed Birder' trophy hands down.
In a sea of baseball caps and dun colored gear, his grey Irish tweed shone. :t:

Aside from being a dedicated birder and a great correspondent, Pinewood wins the 'Best Dressed Birder' trophy hands down.
In a sea of baseball caps and dun colored gear, his grey Irish tweed shone. :t:

Hello all,

Étudiant is too kind. However, autumn is my best season for sartorial effort. Today's dress was tweed but in a bit of a different color. In fact, it was cooler with an early morning temperature of 10ºC. Indeed, it was cold in the shade.

Once again, I met Étudiant, who was both knowledgeable and helpful. I also met Liam R, from Scotland and his friend. The Scottish visitors were racking up unfamiliar species.

With Étudiant and with members of the Linnaean Society [a group which gives free bird tours in Central Park] we saw Eastern Wood Peewees, a magnolia warbler, a blackpoll warbler, pair of common yellow throat warblers, and a number of cedar waxwings. On my own I saw a black and white warbler and near the Lake, I saw a warbler, with black on the throat. Later I met Etudiant, again and described the bird as having black coming down from the head but no mask. He showed me birds on his smart 'phone, with no luck at recognition, I went through Peterson's guide. I finally decided that it was a Kentucky warbler, but that may be too good to be true. However, I do not believe that it may have been a common yellow throat.
The images of the magnolia warbler include male, immature and female, as does the image of the blackpoll warblers. The image of the Kentucky warbler does not show the black area descending as far as the image in Petersons guide.
The bird images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.
Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Magnolia warbler.jpg
    Magnolia warbler.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Blackpoll.jpg
    Blackpoll.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 61
  • Kentucky warbler.jpg
    Kentucky warbler.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo on Sep-17-13 at 22.02 .jpg
    Photo on Sep-17-13 at 22.02 .jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Autumnal activity

Hello,

Regarding the possible Kentucky warbler: it was flitting from one tree trunk to another, only 60 or 70 cm. above the ground. This seems to be consistent with its behaviour.

Today, the newest item was a white throated sparrow, which often initiates the autumn, here. Otherwise, repeats of recent days were common: bay breasted warblers, parulas, pewees, flycatchers, least and maybe others, black and white warblers, and a downy woodpecker, with some very red feathers.

I will be busy for the next few days,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

End of the migration?

Hello all,

We had about 3. cm of rain last night, so I am afraid that the front may have cleared many birds from my patch in Central Park. Aside from a black and white warbler, I saw a hairy woodpecker and red bellied woodpecker[/b] and a northern mockingbird[//b].

More cold air coming, tonight.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Hairy and downy woodpeckers.jpg
    Hairy and downy woodpeckers.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 52
  • mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 54
A cold wind

Hello all,

As promised, some more cool air blew in, this morning. It was 10ºC, when I awoke. It seemed to have made for good bird watching, in Central Park. In Strawberry Fields, I saw people looking for a reported Connecticut warbler. A rose breasted grosbeak was pointed out, but I did not glass it.

I saw downy, hairy and northern flickers, among the woodpeckers. Repeats on the warblers included northern parulas, magnolia warblers, yellowthroats and chestnut sided warblers, and flycatchers, possibly a pewee.

New for the season, at least for me were ruby throated hummingbirds, black throated green warbler, black capped chickadee, a brown thrasher and a Swainson's thrush, the latter was formerly known as an olive backed thrush.
All images are from Birds of New York.
In the Maintenance Meadow, I spotted Étudiant, who helped me identify the Swainson's.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 56
  • black throated green.jpg
    black throated green.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 49
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 50
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 52
  • Swainsons thrush.jpg
    Swainsons thrush.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Wren!

Hello all,

A couple of days, away from Central Park, has brought about this lacuna in my reporting. As usual my day started north of Strawberry field, where I saw another pewee, and another brown thrasher. I hung around a photographer, when I noticed something in a bush. which turned out to be an Eastern towhee,[ a good bird for early autumn. The photographer was overjoyed, since he had never seen one. On my way to the Maintenance Field, I was advised of a carolina wren, which had a very stubby tail, so it turned out to be a winter wren, which was was quite near a northern flicker. In the maintenance meadow, I was a downy woodpecker,female Cape May warbler and a phoebe.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Winter wren II.jpg
    Winter wren II.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Cape May Warblers.jpg
    Cape May Warblers.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 51
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Good going

Hello all,

The weather is becoming summer like, not hotter than 27ºC, today, and a little warmer expected, tomorrow.

I met Étudiant, again, today. which was good because he pointed out today's best birds. I am still seeing phoebes and pewees, as well as woodpeckers, flickers, hairies and downy ones. Parulas, common yellow throats and black and white warblers, as well as kinglets are common. My best birds were blue headed and Philadelphia vireos and an American redstart. The blue headed vireo had an extraordinarily large white eye ring.

Today, I carried only an 8x. Tomorrow, I hope to carry two binoculars.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 58
  • philadelphia vireo.jpg
    philadelphia vireo.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 60
  • American Redstarts.jpg
    American Redstarts.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 57