• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Thrush and Wallcreeper recommendations? (1 Viewer)

How common are they in Scotland? There are only 7 findings in Denmark.

Rock Thrush is an extreme rarity in Scotland. There just happened to be one found in Scotland around the time you posted your request hence the comment from the person above.

André's site for Wallcreeper is excellent by the way. There have been multiple sightings there in the last couple of months.

My sites if I can call them that are a little trickier to get to and will not have as many sightings posted on ornitho.ch for them purely because they are not visited as much as the site suggested by André. In any case I would go for his one.

The birds may have fledged by the time you arrive but hopefully will still be in the area. Keep an eye on ornitho.ch. Click on recent sightings on the home page and then VS for Valais and look for Hohe Brücke.

All the best,
Tom

Last edited:
Thank you so much Tom.
We´re leaving for Switzerland in 2 days, and I´ll be sure to keep an eye on the recent sightings and will definitely visit the Leukerfield area.

Thank you all for your advice, you´ve been most helpful.

-Mette

Thank you so much Tom.
We´re leaving for Switzerland in 2 days, and I´ll be sure to keep an eye on the recent sightings and will definitely visit the Leukerfield area.

Thank you all for your advice, you´ve been most helpful.

-Mette

You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy it. The Valais is a fantastic area if you've never been there before.
If you're interested there are also easily seen Blue Rock Thrushes in the French speaking part of the canton. Near Chamoson there's an area of cliffs called Sex de Gru. Rock Bunting also possible here although there haven't been reports for just over a month. I went there in February last year and the birding couldn't have been easier. I guess Rock Bunting are also found around Leukerfeld though.

Best of luck
Tom

I´m certainly interested :). Wallcreeper is my main target but I´d love to see a Blue Rock Thrush as well. Snowfinch and Citril Finch would also be awesome.
It is my very first visit to Switzerland and I´m really looking forward to it. My husband will be participating in the Ironman Zürich on Sunday, but afterwards we´ll have the rest of the week to enjoy the country and the birds, not to mention your wine and cheese :)

Thank you so much for all your help.
Unfortunately we didn´t have any luck with the Wallcreeper.
We visited the BeaturHohlen, Niederhorn and Hohe Brücke without results.

The best bird was without doubt the Ptarmigan with 4 chicks we discovered on Niederhorn. That was a wonderful experience.

All the best.
-Mette

Thank you so much for all your help.
Unfortunately we didn´t have any luck with the Wallcreeper.
We visited the BeaturHohlen, Niederhorn and Hohe Brücke without results.

The best bird was without doubt the Ptarmigan with 4 chicks we discovered on Niederhorn. That was a wonderful experience.

All the best.
-Mette

You're welcome
Sorry to hear you didn't connect with a Wallcreeper. I've spent many hours looking for them and don't always see them if that's any consolation. I'm certainly no expert but am familiar with the call and that still doesn't help. In a lot of breeding areas many cliffs are extensive and I sometimes get the feeling they could be very close but just out of sight. Their sometimes elusive nature makes them all the more attractive as a species in my view.

It's always a good reason to come back to Switzerland at some stage.

All the best,
Tom.

Hi everyone

Have been wanting to see these two species for a while but never had any success. I note from the opus article that the forest fire area around Leuk and the Hohe brucke areas near to Leuk are meant to be good for both species. However, searching the ornitho.ch website for these species in Leuk hasn't revealed sightings recently (though i know that they partially restrict publication of wallcreeper sightings during the breeding season).

We are based in Zurich but are flexible as to where to go in Switzerland to see these species.

So if anyone has had any luck recently seeing these two species and are happy to pass on any information to us that would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael (and others wishing to see Wallcreeper)

Not sure if you are still based in Zurich but a good way to see Wallcreeper is to keep your eyes on the www.ornitho.ch website for winter sightings. The birds come down to lower elevations in winter when temperatures are relatively 'warmer.' I had a beauty on the main river bridge in Baden a few years ago. It took a bit of patience to finally nail it but the bird certainly hung around the town for several weeks during the winter of 2009/10.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back