• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Winter Visitors to Look Out For..? (1 Viewer)

Forkbeard

I know there's redwings, waxwings, fieldfares..I saw a black tailed godwit the other day. What else is there to keep my eye out for around South Yorkshire/North Derbyshire?

Bewick's and whoopers, smew, brambling, actually after several glasses of rioja can't think of much more but there are probably more winter visitors to look out for

also great grey shrike, pink footed goose, great northern diver can turn up , not forgetting any wintering owls you might see in suitable habitats

You're in Hillsborough aren't you if I remember right? In which case Hillsborough Park gets good counts Goosander, and chance of Redwing and Fieldfare (and Waxwing in the right years). If it's a Waxwing Winter, Hammerton Road police station is also worth a look for them.

The best place I know of for Brambling is Wheata Wood near Grenoside, look for a big flock of Chaffinch that forms and scour it. You also get them reliably up at Longshaw, which is also very good for Redpoll and Siskin. Leash Fen near Owler Bar often gets a wintering Great Grey Shrike, and can also be good for Short-eared Owl in late autumn (depending on vole population). Keep your eyes on the Sheffield Bird Study Group, Derbyshire Ornithology Society, Barnsley Birders Blog and Birdguides websites for news of anything like Waxwing, Great Grey Shrike, Smew or Rough-legged Buzzards that may turn up in random places.

Make sure you get a few trips to Old Moor or Potteric for wintering waterfowl (and keep looking up and keeping your ears open anywhere you are for passing flocks of Pinkfeet). Potteric's also good for Water Rail and Bittern in winter.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, that should keep me going for a while. And yes Pete, I'm in Hillsborough.

I've been planning on taking a trip to Old Moor for a while and not got around t it. I'll get mi sen off in the next couple of weeks. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back