• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to look for in central PA during the winter (1 Viewer)

LIL’Wren57

United States
Hello, I’m from central Pa and wanted to know what do you all look for this time of the year with the colder weather moving through? I have a swamp across from my house and see waterfowl from time to time. Throughout spring and summer I see a lot of other birds moving through that area ,but what should I keep an eye out for in this colder weather besides crows lol ? Thanks

Hello--as a European--I had some fun using Merlin, and here's what could potentially interest me if I were you (hopefully, some locals will weigh in soon):
1) Look for Mallard x Black Duck hybrids among both of those species.
2) Owls should be more vocal about now than in some other periods of the year; maybe there is something calling in your yard or at your patch.
3) Focus on telling the difference between American Crows and the less common Fish Crows.
4) The woodpecker, finch, wren, waterfowl and raptor diversity is at least as big or bigger than during the rest of the year: maybe you'll be able to find a winter visitor from one of those groups.
5) Record the plumage and voice of your local Brown Creepers if you are lucky enough to find one: Is the Brown Creeper more than one species? – Sibley Guides, Variation in Brown Creeper songs – Sibley Guides, The Dawn Song of Brown Creeper – Earbirding.
6) Record the voice of your local White-breasted Nuthatches: White-breasted Nuthatch, Part One – Earbirding, White-breasted Nuthatch, Part Two – Earbirding.

Attachments

• my Merlin settings.jpg
    my Merlin settings.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 4
Besides waterfowl in winter, keep an eye out for raptors, look/listen for blackbirds around your swamp, nuthatches or creepers on trees, and in general juncos, sparrows, finches, towhees etc. Welcome to Birdforum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back