• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Tree Sparrow - please contribute (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

Interested to hear about this species anywhere in the world, whether as a native species or introduced - how common is it, is it migratory, resident, increasing, declining, a city bird, a rural bird, a highland bird, a lowland bird. also pleased to receive any pics for our occasional Newsletter

Look forward to hearing from you

http://www.treesparrows.com

Cheers

David

Hey David,
All I know is that anywhere else in the world it is a seriously common bird, especially SE Asia! Bangkok is full of them taking food from your plates - first time I went there I didn't even look twice at them until the second day when one jumped on my hand and thought "sh*t, that's a Tree Sparrow!" Even the introduced populations in southern Oz are common around urban areas..not sure why our birds are strictly country and so uncommon....best sighting I had here was in the late 80s when one appeared in my garden with our local Houses for a few days, feeding outsdie the window - came home from school one day to find it inside the house!!

Ads

Hi

Interested to hear about this species anywhere in the world, whether as a native species or introduced - how common is it, is it migratory, resident, increasing, declining, a city bird, a rural bird, a highland bird, a lowland bird. also pleased to receive any pics for our occasional Newsletter

Look forward to hearing from you

http://www.treesparrows.com

Cheers

David

They may be common elsewhere but in rural Aberdeenshire they have been absent(in my patch ) for 30 years. What a joy to see them back ( and breeding). Same cannot be said for Corn bunting though.Only one in last 5 years.

Catalonia, NE Spain

Here in my neck of the woods around Barcelona, David, they're common but localised.

The Catalan breeding atlas has them in 72% of sample squares with a population of a little over 207,000 pairs (2002), a 10% decline between atlases. It is classed as NT, near-threatened.

All the best

Good size colony at Thornton reservoir, Leicestershire.
Theres a bird table down the far end.
easily picked up on google maps.
cheers
karpman

There was a spot near Alness Point (Alness in the Highlands of Scotland) where I used to go birding a number of years ago and I have recorded up to 36 Tree Sparrows there - there were nest boxes constructed for them and they bred there quite successfully. Shortly before I left the area however a lot of the hedges and bushes they used throughout the day were ripped out and the local population decreased considerably - sightings became irregular thereafter.

Are you interested in sightings up to 10 years old?

You can see just how localized they are in North American by checking this URL.

Quite a few people travel to Saint Louis, Missouri, to get this bird on their lists.

Yes. They were introduced in the U.S. in 1870 in St. Louis Missouri, but have expanded their range only slightly, unlike the nearly ubiquitous House Sparrow. They are not found anywhere else in the western hemisphere. Outside of Eurasia and North Africa, they are only found in Australia and some Pacific islands according to BNA.

In the U.S., they are generally sedentary except that they sometimes wander in winter.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
When I was a teenager (around 30 years ago...), Tree Sparrows were very scarce migrants in Mallorca, a rare sight. Today they are quite common residents in agricultural areas and still in expansion.

As has been said above, very common in SE-Asia. In Vietnam it's by far the most common bird in areas populated by humans. House sparrows only start to expand their range into Vietnam, I haven't seen one myself yet.

Here in Cambodia it is also very common, probably the most common birds. House Sparrows are expanding their range (just found a new colony near Siem Reap) but so far with apparently no effect on Tree Sparrows. Tree Sparrows are pretty much everywhere there are people.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back