• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member, and a question on choosing a compact travel telescope (1 Viewer)

Traveller

Hello all. I'm not really a birder, rather someone who enjoys being out in the countryside and looking at all sorts of wildlife as well as the scenery. I travel a lot, as well, both for work and for holidays. I've spent 15 years fairly deeply involved with photography. I do have a set of binoculars, but at 8x25 they're not good for looking at things in detail, and they're both old and larger /heavier than I think they should be for only modest magnification.

I'm looking to buy a compact telescope for travelling, and started researching on the 'net. Specifically, I'd want a telescope suitable for wildlife from birds up to deer in size, hill walking, and watching seals off the coast. There seem to be a couple of choices in my price range (no more than £500 all up): the Nikon ED50 and the Opticron MMv2 ED version. I think (although could be proved wrong by the experts here) that I'd need a zoom lens to cover those sorts of subjects.

I appreciate that in the end I'll go into a shop and try out each for myself before actually buying a scope, but I'd like to get as much info in advance of that if I can. Are those 2 roughly comparable in terms of image quality? How about build and robustness? For my intended purpose, would they be usable from a monopod / hiking staff? Finally, if I were to get the angled version, are the scopes rotatable around the tripod mount?

I've accumulated a few tripods and a few Manfrotto Superclamps over the years with photography, so I think I'm well sorted there.

I hope that's not too many questions at once! Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi there Traveller and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum:t:

You might want to duplicate your query on the scope in our scope sub-forum as it will likely get more attention. Enjoy!~

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back