• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member -Norwich (1 Viewer)

Stuart M

United Kingdom
Hi All, Ive recently retired and can now enjoy some time birdwatching. I live in Norwich so have some excellent North Coast viewing. At the weekend near Holkham we had short eared owls, white tailed eagle, hen harrier and peregrine to name a but a few - 84 species in our bird group outing.
I've just bought my first scope Nikon ED 50 (I want to be travel light) and am now considering a tripod/head. I would appreciate any advice.
I like the look of the GITSO GHF2W or its earlier GH1720 model. Reading many reviews I understand that a light tripod is not necessarily stable/good for viewing.
Just looking for a nice suitable tripod/head to suit birdwatching with my ED 50. - Thanks Stuart

Hi Stuart! I can't help you with your question but I would like to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum!

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi Stuart and a warm welcome from me too. Certainly a light tripod is useless in the wind, though even a strong one may struggle if it's really gusty!! We do find it works better in those conditions to sit on the ground and bring the tripod down to it's lowest setting. Also, of course, getting behind something to give some shelter. But the guys in our Equipment Forum will help you decide on what will be best.

If you can let them know what your budget is and if you intend to do a lot of sea watching it would help them to hone in on the best set-up..

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Pop along to Cleyspy in Glandford when your next birding on the North Norfolk coast. They'll give you some ideas. Happy Retirement.

Hi Stuart and a warm welcome from me too. Certainly a light tripod is useless in the wind, though even a strong one may struggle if it's really gusty!! We do find it works better in those conditions to sit on the ground and bring the tripod down to it's lowest setting. Also, of course, getting behind something to give some shelter. But the guys in our Equipment Forum will help you decide on what will be best.

If you can let them know what your budget is and if you intend to do a lot of sea watching it would help them to hone in on the best set-up..

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Hi Delia,
Thank you for your welcome and advice - I read that someone had enjoyed pairing their ED50 with a SmallRig head and Velbon Ultra tripod.
I've managed to get both of these relatively cheaply so will see how this goes.
Regards

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back