• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI West Wales in early Aug (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

I'm staying near Dolgellau for a week in early August. Obviously, I'll be visiting Borth for the shearwaters. Any suggestions for other places to go birding (or insecting, or botanising) anywhere in Ceredigion or Gwynedd would be much appreciated.

well it may be too far away but you could try the Ynys-Hir RSPB reserve at Aberdyfi . Its just a few miles South right on the A487 on the Dovey estuary.

We are visiting end of July beginning of August and staying in the local Riverside campsite .

If you look back at old threads in this board you'll find a very informative thread on birding around Aberdyfi which might be useful.

If there is no estuary we always stay near reservoirs, lakes and rivers as they are usually easier to access and walk around than estuaries

Last edited:
Try North Wales Wildlife Trust's Coed Crafnant at SH 618286. Birds are wonderful but pale to insignificance compared to the flora.

Kelvin Jones
Tremadog

Try North Wales Wildlife Trust's Coed Crafnant at SH 618286. Birds are wonderful but pale to insignificance compared to the flora.

Kelvin Jones
Tremadog

Thanks Kelvin (and also for the comments on Twite in the other thread). Can you point me at any more details on the plants found at Coed Crafnant (is the same place as Cwm Glas Crafnant)?

Thanks Kelvin (and also for the comments on Twite in the other thread). Can you point me at any more details on the plants found at Coed Crafnant (is the same place as Cwm Glas Crafnant)?

thanks a bunch????

was my post invisible or something or just plain unhelpful ? ;) tsk some people

I am told not being a botanist that it is renowned for it's ferns, mosses etc. As a birder it has the full suite of welsh woodland specialties, though you might be a little late for some, and the best place I know for all three woodpecker species.

At the pub in Llanbedr turn for Cwm Bychan, and keep going. When you get to the farm on the right selling free range eggs you have gone 250 meters to far. Its on the right hand side of the river just before this farm.

Kelvin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back