• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma Service (1 Viewer)

Sy V

Last Saturday I bought a used Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX APO DG HSM (3rd Owner, originally supplied Oct 2007). Initially I was unable to get a sharp image out of it despite using a Manfrotto tripod and head with an electronic shutter release.
A couple of nights ago I downloaded some focussing charts and it soon became apparent that the lens is back-focussing (by about 5 cms over 10 metres).
Just to confirm this I dialled in some compensation to my Canon EOS 7D and that has improved matters to some extent (unfortunately there's little advice available as to how much or little to compensate).
Not wishing to spend weeks on a trial and error mission I contacted Sigma UK with a view to them recalibrating the lens.
They can be contacted here:
Service Department
Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
13 Little Mundells
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire
AL7 1EW

Or, by emailing [email protected] or telephoning 01707 329 999.

They recommend sending the lens to them by courier. They quote between 2 and 3 weeks to turn the job around and a simple adjustment (to address the focussing issue) is £34.73. If they discover other problems they will quote before carrying out the extra work.

I'll update throughout the process at significant points...

Last edited:
I purchased a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and 1.4x APO converter some time ago and found the converter had somehow loosened internally. I contacted Sigma, explained the converter was purchased used and had no warranty. I shipped it to them, they examined and repaired it, and returned it at no cost (not even postage). They apparently felt that the problem never should have occurred.

On the other hand, I contacted Tamron about a back-focus problem and they want a flat rate of $140 for out of warranty regardless of how simple the problem may be.

Sigma all the way.

So far so good and if their service is as good as their admin then it should all go sweetly.
Packaged up the lens on Monday night and got a same day direct courier to take it to Welwyn Garden City on Tuesday. Courier firm phoned me to confirm delivery on Tuesday afternoon and gave me the name of the person who had signed for it. Yesterday written confirmation of receipt and a written quote arrived from Sigma (£34.73, to "Adjust Circuit, Check Optics, Reset Check & Test). I signed the authority to proceed and faxed it back to them this morning.
One slight area of concern was that I saw the courier driver put the parcel in his passenger side foot well when I gave it to him. However, Sigma report that the ShockWatch label that I had adhered to the parcel had gone red on arrival. Unfortunately this was only noticed after the courier had left. They have promised to check the lens for any other faults as well.

any updates on it?
i have a sigma 135-400 that only works on f5.6?? need to send it to sigma to get it sorted, possibly a broken flexible pcb cable or needs rechipping..

look forward to your feedback on them.. :)

Nothing heard from them but it'll only be a fortnight on Tuesday and they did quote 2-3 weeks.

Over two weeks now. Whilst I'm tempted to give 'em a bell, this wouldn't be objective without some restraint.

Last edited:
I think I've encountered the next "significant point"...

I received a re-quote from Sigma for the repair of my 500mm prime. Requires new optics, must be sent to Japan for repair (expect 6-8 weeks delay) = £198.21.:eek!:

Oh bu99er! :C

On Monday I phoned Sigma UK to ask whether they'd heard anything, being as it had been 7 weeks since I was notified that the lens was being sent to the Japanese OEM for repair.
They said that they had received notification of the Japanese factory's intent to ship it back later this week to be back in the UK next week.
The guy on the phone was really helpful so I asked him a couple of questions with regards to some concerns that I'd had over the last few weeks.
"What are the chances of the lens being returned 'beyond repair'? He seemed to think that this was completely out of the question; stating that they'd replace any parts necessary to return the lens to within tolerance specification (regardless of parts/cost).
Secondly "What was the likelihood of me receiving a bill for something rather more than I was quoted a few weeks ago (£198)? No chance apparently. That's their top tariff for repair and they [Sigma UK] had not been informed of any further charges in this case. He then guided me to this rather interesting document... Tariffs.
He told me to phone back on Friday afternoon when they should have received confirmation of the lens having been shipped.

Just had a call from Sigma UK to say that they've received confirmation today that the lens is on its way back. They expect it on Thursday of next week and have asked me to phone them next Friday.
Is this the light at the end of the tunnel for which I have waited so long? I ask myself...

My tripod fell over on Wednesday while taking pics of marbled white butterflies. A momentary lapse inleaving it unattended on slightly uneven ground.
The damage to my 150mm f/2.8 APO macro was catastrophic. Camera was fine after checking it with another lens.
After picking up the two halves of my lens I gave Sigma a call. A guy there reckoned that it could be repaired and to send it in.
I posted it SD on Wed. and I have received a written quote for its repair today.
According to the estimate they are replacing the outer barrel, the rear barrel, repairing the focus mechanism and resetting. All for £93.99.
I paid for it today so will let you know when it comes back.

Couldn't wait until Friday to phone them, so I gave them a bell today.
The lens was shipped to my work's address (via UPS) from Welwyn Garden City this morning. I should have it back tomorrow.
They've said that I will get a sheet that outlines what was carried out, but they know that at least one optical element and circuitry was changed and that the lens now performs within OEM specification.

Happy days are here again...

Well. I have the lens back and I'm delighted with the improvement. Loom and front optical group replaced.
I used it in anger over the weekend in fairly poor light at Upton Warren. But got a few minutes on Friday evening in fairly good but not direct sunlight in the garden with this resultant IQ.
Great Tit.
I think I can safely assume that it's fixed as I couldn't get anywhere near that sharpness before.

Sigma Service - Recommended.

Last edited:
Pleasing result

I've been following your thread with some interest as I too am only in a position to deal at the reasonable end of the lens market.
It's good to hear that your patience has been worthwhile, and doubly so to see the image quality of the Great Tit no doubt it will be even better in good light.
Congrats Pepe

Pepe and Martin

Thanks very much for the feedback. It was a long and drawn out process and I must admit that, at times when I updated the thread, I thought I was talking to myself. It's nice to know that folk were following it.

Simon

Good to see that your lens has arrived back in fine fettle.
My Siggy 150 macro arrived back yesterday with UPS. Apparently it was shipped on Friday so it must have been with UPS all weekend.
I used it immediately and can confirm that it is as good as new.
12 days from start to finish and that includes time in the post.:t:

Vince

It looks like we've had good news and good service all around then. Great to hear about your lens.

Here's to Sigma's after sales service!

Just had a problem with my Sigma 80-400 Os,sent it to Sigma end of June,the zoom ring was stuck wouldnt zoom past 280mm,they fixed the zoom problem but discovered that the focussing was intermittently soft,so its been sent off to Japan,still havent got it back yet but it has done some air miles,being charged a flat fee of £125 for this be curious after reading the above poste whether they charge me or not..I see sigma have just recalled some lenses with autofocus problems http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/returns/index.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back