• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello All (1 Viewer)

clenash

Hi,
At last, found my way in here, good site. And now a question. How is it when Bill Oddie goes birding, birds are hurling themselves in front of his binoculars. And when I go out I struggle to see anything?
Managed to see Red Kites at the Ken/Dee marshes. Brilliant!

Hello clenash, and welcome to the forum. Maybe Bill Oddie is able to spend more time on his birding???? ;) Glad you saw the red kites - we were lucky too when we were in the area a couple of weeks ago.

clenash said:
Hi,
How is it when Bill Oddie goes birding, birds are hurling themselves in front of his binoculars. And when I go out I struggle to see anything?

Hi Clenash and welcome to Birdforum.

With regard to Bill Oddie's success at birding. It is certainly not in dispute that Bill is a very keen and knowledgeable birder but for every half hour show, such as "Oddie goes wild" there will have been many hours of filming and editing before the refined article hits the TV screens, as is the case with David Attenborough's and all other wildlife programs.

I suspect that each site visited will have been fully researched beforehand and the help of local birders/guides/experts will also have been sought to identify areas where some of the more elusive species are regularly found.

With regard to your own birding. don't get frustrated and give-up trying to find your selected species. No-one said serious birding was easy. If it was we would probably not get as much enjoyment from our chosen sport/hobby.

For the record and before I get any flak, I am not having a go at Bill Oddie. I have tremendous respect for him and I think that he has done more than anyone to raise people's awareness and interest in birds and has certainly greatly increased the number of birders in the UK.

Regards from Donana (where it is now 45C - 112F).

John.

Clenash, a warm welcome to you from the US!

John (112F? ACK!) is right. As your knowledge and experience increase, there will be days when the birds seem to throw themselves in front of you, too -- but no matter how hard and long you work at it, and how good your timing, those days will be few and far between.

But that can be part of the pleasure of it all -- days when the birds are 'cooperating' are real gifts.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forums!

to all who said hello, thank you. my Bill Oddie comment was a bit tongue in cheek, sorry. Allthough i have struggled for two years to see a pied flycatcher and as time is running out this year any advice will be gratefully received.

clenash said:
to all who said hello, thank you. my Bill Oddie comment was a bit tongue in cheek, sorry. Allthough i have struggled for two years to see a pied flycatcher and as time is running out this year any advice will be gratefully received.

We went to Bala in North Wales , and still didn't get a pied flycatcher.
We will try Spurn Point and Wells woods in Norfolk in September, otherwise we have dipped on our bogey bird AGAIN.

pied flycatcher

tony.hetheringt said:
We went to Bala in North Wales , and still didn't get a pied flycatcher.
We will try Spurn Point and Wells woods in Norfolk in September, otherwise we have dipped on our bogey bird AGAIN.

Hi Tony
Allthough there are plenty birds i have yet to see Pied Flycatcher is the one i have spent most time trying to find. I have visited several sites all supposedly good for Pied Flycatcher but so far not a sniff. The upside is there are allways diversions like the Red Kites.
Definately a bogey bird, hope you get lucky soon.

cheers Clen

Hi Clenash,

I know a few good sites around the county for Pied Flies, though it is too late to get them on the breeding grounds this year (they disappear into the treetops as soon as the young fledge), but there's a fair chance of some autumn passage birds mid Aug to early Oct on the coast. Or there's always next May . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back