• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID of 2 birds (1 Viewer)

Boris88

Hi Australians,
please, could anybody confirm the ID of the birds on my photos? The first photo I took 2 days ago near the road in Daintree NP. My guess is Pachycephala simplex, but I can´t rule out also Microeca flavigaster, since I lack enough experience (I am in AUS only since 18th May).
On 3 other photos there is Charadrius mongolus or leschenaultii. It was near Cooktown on 25th July. Again I am not sure.
Thanks a lot!
Boris

Attachments

• DSC_6876-1.jpg
    DSC_6876-1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_6706-1.jpg
    DSC_6706-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_6711-1.jpg
    DSC_6711-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_6716-1.jpg
    DSC_6716-1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 41
Hi Australians,
please, could anybody confirm the ID of the birds on my photos? The first photo I took 2 days ago near the road in Daintree NP. My guess is Pachycephala simplex, but I can´t rule out also Microeca flavigaster, since I lack enough experience (I am in AUS only since 18th May).
On 3 other photos there is Charadrius mongolus or leschenaultii. It was near Cooktown on 25th July. Again I am not sure.
Thanks a lot!
Boris

I think you are right with the first. Looks good for Grey Whistler / P.Simplex. The other possibility is female Mangrove Golden Whistler P. melanura robusta, but that would be yellower. I'm not real familiar with that pair though!

The plover is definitely Greater Sand Plover C. leschenaultii. Bill length is a good field mark.

Thank you very much! So my guesses were right. Also one other birder confirmed Ch. leschenaultii. As for Whistler, after having seen some photos I think I can rule out the female of Mangrove Golden Whistler. My photo is not good, however I had a very good view/ look in my binoculars. Thanks once more.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back