• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Imperial Eagle shot in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Update

Apologies for the time lag!

The partner of the deceased male was regularly seen consorting with an imm. male during the winter of 2009 – 2010. This apparently 4th year plumaged male stayed with her into the breeding season of 2010 and although I am not sure if successful breeding took place but they at least attempted (non-fertile attempted breeding is commonplace in this species). This newly formed couple continue and it is hope that they will attempt to breed again this year. I have stayed away from the sensitive breeding site, which isn’t far away from the original nest site. For obvious reasons the location is being kept under wraps by the Life Bonelli team here in Portugal. I have regularly watched another imm. pair that are in their 3rd-4th year together in the general area over the last couple of years and I think there may well be another pair in formation. Additionally, there seems to me to be at least 3 or 4 imm birds that seem settled in the region (Baixo Alentejo – mainly the Castro Verde and Alentejo counties). All this is very encouraging and I have not heard of any further persecution.

Furthermore, Golden Eagles have increased from 1 to 2 breeding pairs in the region (3 pairs?) and Bonelli’s are at least stable with 5 pairs plus. The abundance of the most important prey items (Iberian Hare, Rabbit and Red-legged Partridge) is phenomenal in much of area discussed.

Visiting the region often produces views of the 5 Aquila Eagles on a day out nowadays – especially if you have that knack for raptors. The way things are going I believe we may hear news of breeding Eurasian Black Vulture in these parts in the not too distant future!

All this is I think due to the ongoing efforts in conservation here in Portugal and nearby Spain.

Best wishes

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back