• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED 25-75x82 Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

It is as you say. However, I'm concerned about the "I was told" part. What are you looking for? The ED82 is a tank, a rhinoceros, a Howitzer... it's big and powerful. I had one for a while but I'm down to the 60mm class personally. Absolutely beautiful and lovely in every way, every bit as good (IMO) as the big 3 makers - and a great value at that.

If you want to "indulge" the group, tell us about what you are looking for and it might make good fodder for a recommendation. But they are good. Most folks in the know seem to prefer a nice mid-mag wide angle to the zoom but that varies among users. I like fixed/wide angle but my scoping is limited and not the primary observation method.

Hi,

I have this combo and also have the 30x wide angle eyepiece. It is a fantastic scope and great value for money. I've not had the opportunity to compare side by side but the general opinion is that it compares favourably with the other 'big boys'. The zoom gives excellent resolution but is slightly let down by a narrow field of view compared to the others. I use both but do 90% of my birding with the 30x fixed.

As always though, best to try it before you buy it!

Perry

Hi

I am about to buy a spotting Scope when i go to USA and my first choice is the nikon Ed25-75x82

Is it worth it?

Yes. It is THE bargain in an 80ish mm scope. Unbeatable value and a solid performer.
The fixed wide EPs are getting rare however, and should factor into your decision.

Last edited:
I have and ED82 and use it daily it and prefer the fixed wide angle eye-pieces. A good thing about Nikon ED scopes is you can buy a smaller one at a later date and use the same eye-pieces if you have use for a travel scope as Nikon make a very good ED50 version.

Image quality of the ED82 is excellent and very bright. It compares well to much more expensive scopes.

Hello, I have also an angled ED82 with 25-75x eyepiece and it's just fantastic. The only (for me "forgivable") handicap I could mention ist a relative loss of light ratio at magnifications above 40x approx., but this seems to be a disadvantage almost every super-mag scope will share. After have compared it with some other mid- and high-priced scopes of my colleagues, I can afford the feeling of having bought the scope with the best quality to price ratio, by far. Moreover, the faint advantages I can detect in the higher class pieces are clearly beyond of what my eyes will ever miss.

One last piece of advice: especially if you're planning to use high magnification, say over 40x, on a regular basis, then a sturdy tripod will be crucial. After careful analysis of the makers and models available, I've got one of those Berlebach wooden stands, the 3032, and it's perfect for every application I've had so far.

hello adin:

i can onlly echo what's been posted here. for the price of one of the sacred trinity scopes, you could have an ed82 and a 50! i have both scopes and use the 82 extensively on a windowpod, while toting a 50 all day is a piece of cake. i purchased and then promptly returned a zeiss 65 because, imho, it simply did not have the image snap of either of the nikons, in addition to having in my eyes a pretty noticable yellow tone bias. the nikon FS eyepieces are among the best i have ever used- very flat fields all the way to the edge. again like others have mentioned the single power ones are the best. the 82 is a bit on the bulky side, but i am sure totable for a lot of users w/out any problem. i have spent some time comparing the 82 to a swar 65HD, and there maybe some very, very slight performance advantage to the swar, but certainly nothing major and not likely to be noticed except for a direct A/B comparo.

highly recommended,

regards,
utc

Could anybody tell me whether this fixed 30x eyepiece would fit and work on the Nikon ED82 Fieldscope?

If not, which is the recommended fixed 30x WA eyepiece for it?

Thanks in advance! :t:

Could anybody tell me whether this fixed 30x eyepiece would fit and work on the Nikon ED82 Fieldscope?

If not, which is the recommended fixed 30x WA eyepiece for it?

Thanks in advance! :t:

It should work though it's not wide angle. The seller says it's for 60mm and 78mm fieldscopes so it should also fit the 82mm fieldscope as they have common threads, BUT they also say 38xf82 by which I think they mean it will be 38x on your 82mm scope.

Any fieldscope eyepiece specified at 30x for the 82mm scope will work. There is the DS (DigiScoping) eyepiece or MC eyepiece.

By the way welcome to BF!

It should work though it's not wide angle. The seller says it's for 60mm and 78mm fieldscopes so it should also fit the 82mm fieldscope as they have common threads, BUT they also say 38xf82 by which I think they mean it will be 38x on your 82mm scope.

Any fieldscope eyepiece specified at 30x for the 82mm scope will work. There is the DS (DigiScoping) eyepiece or MC eyepiece.

By the way welcome to BF!

Forgive me for hijacking this thread onto a tangent.
OK, we'll forget the one I listed above that isn't WA.
dipped, for spotting purposes, is there any advantage to getting the 30x MC vs. the 30x DS eyepiece one way or the other (cost, coating or function-wise) to use with my ED82 Fieldscope?

Thanks again!

The MC has a twist up eyecup the DS just has a protective rubber cover which can be removed to fit brackets for digiscoping. I wear glasses and my personal preference is eyecup down so i find both eyepieces very usable and 30x is my fav on the ED82 for viewing. :t:

Last edited:
The MC has a twist up eyecup the DS just has a protective rubber cover which can be removed to fit brackets for digiscoping. I wear glasses and my personal preference is eyecup down so i find both eyepieces very usable and 30x is my fav on the ED82 for viewing. :t:

Thank you, theconstantwalker! B :)

is there any advantage to getting the 30x MC vs. the 30x DS eyepiece one way or the other (cost, coating or function-wise) to use with my ED82 Fieldscope?

The DS lacks an eyecup, which depending on your personal prefs might be important. Note that unlike the other DS eyepieces, the 30x is an entirely different optical design from its MC counterpart. The 30x DS has longer eye-relief and a slightly flatter field, which make it superior to the MC in my opinion. It is also physically larger (esp. eyepiece lens diameter).

--AP

The DS lacks an eyecup, which depending on your personal prefs might be important. Note that unlike the other DS eyepieces, the 30x is an entirely different optical design from its MC counterpart. The 30x DS has longer eye-relief and a slightly flatter field, which make it superior to the MC in my opinion. It is also physically larger (esp. eyepiece lens diameter).

--AP

Great info, Alexis. Thanks a million. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back