• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cd writer advice (1 Viewer)

Reader

I am thinking of buying a CD writer so that I can download some music files I have on my hard drive. I wouldn't mind downloading some films as well. I haven't a clue what to buy. Any advice please - not too expensive though.

I suppose the hardware is only as good as the burning software you get bundled with the device, John.

These days, CD Writers get bundled with Easy CD Creator, which I think is a load of tosh. I much prefer Nero Burning ROM which is much friendlier, looks better and is easier to use. Very rare, though, to find a burner that comes bundled with it. You take what you get, I suppose.

Anyhoo, as for the burner itself, anything better than an 8x8x32 Drive will more than suffice. One of the Teac machines is what I would recommend, although there are alternatives like Sony and Philips and Yamaha.

Shop around. Try and avoid places like Dixons and Comet and Currys if you can. Bad service and bad advice atop steep prices is all you'll find in these places. Check out your local independent store if you have one. Prices will probably start at around £30 these days, and the blank media is ten-a-penny now - just make sure you get blank CD-R media and not blank audio media. Having ten or twenty blank CD-Rs sitting around is always helpful, and possibly one blank CD-RW (a rewritable one). Audio CD-Rs are only good for copying audio CDs, which we're not allowed to do anyway, are we?

;)

Hope that's been of some help John. Need more info? Then you know where we are!

John,

You could always try the excalibur computer fairs, they are on most weekends at the Motor Cycle Museum (10:00 - 15:00)

http://www.theshowguide.co.uk/

Usually costs £3 - £4 (half that for members) to get in, but some good savings so be had.

You should also be able to pick up plenty of blank CD-Rs @ 20-30p each.

I agree Nero is one of the best, you can download a free trial of the software from
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/detail/1002-2646-10156336.html to see if you like it, but it is sometimes bundled with the CDRW drive, as was the case with one of mine.

Thanks to the three of you. Initially I will probably look at the Computer exchanges option, because I will be in B'ham centre anyway on saturday. If I haven't got anything from there then the Computer fair might be a good alternative.

Thanks for steering me away from Curry's etc Ralph. I won't go near the place:lol

BTW, I will be the proud owner of a Nikon Coolpix 990 from Saturday onwards. I have tracked down an excellent deal at Jessops in Wolverhampton. I am trying to sort out what attachments I am going to need so, hopefully, by next weekend I should be up and running with some digiscoping equipment.

Whilst your at it, take a look at http://www.scan.co.uk/ It's a very good online store, and one of my mates has used them with great success.

TIP: Take a look at the 'Today Only' section, where the 'unrepeatable' bargains are! EG: Today under CD Writers (Gone Tommorow)

You get the idea!!

Regards,
Oliver

John,
I am currently using an un-branded internal one from Maplins, which cost £49.95 complete with Nero, and once you've registered the software you can download the latest version from their (Nero's) website. The drive claims 48x24x48, but since I buy unbranded media at computer fairs (200 for £35), I usually burn at 16, which takes about 8 minutes for a whole CD of MP3s. You mentioned movies - do you mean just copying MPEG files, or creating VCD or SVCD discs for use in a domestic DVD player ? If the latter, before you burn (Nero handles both of these, by the way) ensure that your DVD player handles the format. Mine will not read SVCD discs, and sometimes has second thoughts about VCDs.

HTH

Tony

Tony

I don't understand most of what you have just said. The jargon is beyond me. I have never considered doing what I had originally asked for it's just that now I am on broadband I can download that much faster that I find that there is quite a bit of music that I would like to put on discs. I have also downloaded one of my alltime favourite films (It's a wonderful life - with James Stewart). I would have liked to have put this onto a disc so that when I eventually get a link from my DVD on my computer to my T.V I will be able to play it, and any other films I download.

Sorry, John - let's take it from the top.

The music you have downloaded - what format is it in (i.e. what is the file extension) and where do you want to listen to it (from computer CD-Drive, domestic CD Player, domestic DVD Player, portable hi-fi) ?

The film - again, what format is it, and where do you want to play it - computer DVD drive on computer screen, computer DVD drive on TV, or domestic DVD player on TV ?

If we start with that, I can use the info to air my ignorance, and get shot down in flames by anyone more knowledgeable than I :eat:

Tony

John,

I'd say its a waste of time linking your pcs DVD to your TV, best option is to buy a cheap DVD player if you want to watch DVDs on your TV.

Alternatively watch them on your PC using a software decoding program such as PowerDVD.

VCD = Video CD
SVCD = Super Video CD

Alteratives to DVD - poorer quality but come on CD not DVD disks.

Alternative software if you are duplicating your own CD collection is CloneCD.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back