• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request advice id Eurasian or African Collared Collared Dove Sharm, Egypt December 2023 (1 Viewer)

I am sorry, but I see the color of the vent as greyish, not pure white. Others might differ.
Niels
Fair comment. We tend to see what we want to see LOL.
But may I enquire your opinion on 3 features said to distinguish African 1. Browner above than Eurasian (which is more greyish) 2. central tail feathers darker than rump (same colour in Eurasian) 3. Slightly shorter tail 4. More pinkish ("vinaceous") on head than eurasian - see plate and pic 0692)

Also, granted the vent may seem or be greyish rather than white but relatively speaking does it compare in that regard with Eurasian. Is pure white needed or is it relatively more whiteish only that is needed?-see comparison image - Thank you

Attachments

• 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 14
  • D2-0692.jpg
    D2-0692.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • comp acd w ecd.jpg
    comp acd w ecd.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Fair comment. We tend to see what we want to see LOL.
But may I enquire your opinion on 3 features said to distinguish African 1. Browner above than Eurasian (which is more greyish) 2. central tail feathers darker than rump (same colour in Eurasian) 3. Slightly shorter tail

Also, granted the vent may seem or be greyish rather than white but relatively speaking does it compare in that regard with Eurasian
Re 1: too dependent on light and camera characteristics that I will conclude anything. Re 3: I do not have the necessary experience whether that is noticeable in the field or whether it takes measurements - just don't know.
That leaves 2, where I feel you might have something.

Niels

Re 1: too dependent on light and camera characteristics that I will conclude anything. Re 3: I do not have the necessary experience whether that is noticeable in the field or whether it takes measurements - just don't know.
That leaves 2, where I feel you might have something.

Niels
Thank you so much for your balanced and fair appraisal.

Surely the lower bird in photo composite 234.jpg is a Laughing dove rather than African collared?
Bluish-grey wingbar contrasting with rufous wing coverts, dark bluish grey area on rump, pink underparts and black tail base (visible from above) all indicate Laughing.

Judging any of these subtle "differences" is likely to be nearly impossible in the conditions we're talking about. I think the tail and vent characters would be one's best bet and those not easy as we've seen. Certainly in Tenerife there were very many bleached (Eurasian) collared doves of almost every possible shade

Surely the lower bird in photo composite 234.jpg is a Laughing dove rather than African collared?
Bluish-grey wingbar contrasting with rufous wing coverts, dark bluish grey area on rump, pink underparts and black tail base (visible from above) all indicate Laughing.
Oops - you're right. My mistake LOL

Judging any of these subtle "differences" is likely to be nearly impossible in the conditions we're talking about. I think the tail and vent characters would be one's best bet and those not easy as we've seen. Certainly in Tenerife there were very many bleached (Eurasian) collared doves of almost every possible shade
I appreciate your point. I think to be honest a proper view of the undertail vent and so on would be absolutely necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back