• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a grouse? (1 Viewer)

jackiek

Jackie
taken by my husband near Vancouver, Canada, June 2005. He travels the world and comes back with bird photos for me. I thought maybe a blue grouse but know nothing of American birds.

many thanks!

Attachments

• Blue grouse.jpg
    Blue grouse.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 279
jackiek said:
taken by my husband near Vancouver, Canada, June 2005. He travels the world and comes back with bird photos for me. I thought maybe a blue grouse but know nothing of American birds.

many thanks!

Possibly a spruce grouse, but I'm not too familiar with the N American species.

in my eyes spruce grouse too. tail looks too short for blue grouse. but i'll let the definitive id to others.

edit: just saw that spruce grouse isn't in the distribution map in or very close to vancouver (isl.) while blue grouse is.- how close to vancouver did your husbund photograph this bird?

Last edited:
When I lightened the photo a bit, the tail looks rather ratty and worn, possibly affecting its length? The bird's also holding it kind of twisted and up, which also may be shortening its look. The "speckled overall" appearance on the back and wings points more to Blue Grouse than Spruce, I believe. But I've only seen one Blue Grouse in the field in my life and never a Spruce, so I could be wrong. ;)

Katy Penland said:
When I lightened the photo a bit, the tail looks rather ratty and worn, possibly affecting its length? The bird's also holding it kind of twisted and up, which also may be shortening its look. The "speckled overall" appearance on the back and wings points more to Blue Grouse than Spruce, I believe. But I've only seen one Blue Grouse in the field in my life and never a Spruce, so I could be wrong. ;)

The other photos I have of this bird are attached.
Husband says it was just out of Vancouver half way up the mountains, and that she had chicks - you can just make them out below her in the photo where her head is obscured.

Thanks, Jackie

Attachments

• Grouse X.jpg
    Grouse X.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 151
  • tail and chicks.jpg
    tail and chicks.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Grouse XX.jpg
    Grouse XX.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 124
now it is clear: it is indeed a blue grouse, dendragapus obscurus. tail is longer than in spruce. the whole bird is "longer" too. head colouring and the distribution of spotting in pic 3 looks very similar to this one:
http://www.birdinfo.com/A_Images_B/BlueGrouse_0002.html

btw. back in 1992 i once climbed up a tree very fast when i heard a threatening growl; it was may 5th in yellowstone park and sounded like a mama grizzly ("don't come closer!!"): from the "2nd floor" between the branches of an alder i looked for the big bear and what did i see? a displaying male blue grouse! it has a very deep sound...

Last edited:
lou salomon said:
btw. back in 1992 i once climbed up a tree very fast when i heard a threatening growl; it was may 5th in yellowstone park and sounded like a mama grizzly ("don't come closer!!"): from the "2nd floor" between the branches of an alder i looked for the big bear and what did i see? a displaying male blue grouse! it has a very deep sound...
LOL, great story, Lou! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back