• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can someone identify this bird (1 Viewer)

hmm about 2 weeks ago i found this baby bird it was all pink and a little fuzz. and now he is still alive or she dont know prolly a she and um i dont know what kind of a bird it is....

Attachments

• arrow4.jpg
    arrow4.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 318
And someone is about to tell you to shoot it, or bash its head in, or lynch it, or something anyway.

Now, now, walwyn, don't alarm our new member; maybe the enthusiasts have mellowed. Welcome, Kat, to our lively discussion group. I grew up in Illinois, just outside of Chicago. The first birds I remember are Dickcissels in the cornfields and Cardinals in the shubbery.

whats wrong with Starlings? and r u sure this is a European Starling because like the pics i found it doesnt look like one at all and do u think u could tell me how to tell if its a male or female?
this is the pic of a European Starling that i found:

Attachments

• starling-window.jpg
    starling-window.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 271
Kat,
Juvenile Starlings are brown. The glossy black plumage comes as the bird gets older.

Here is a photo of a young Starling

Darrell

Attachments

• starling-may00-5.jpg
    starling-may00-5.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 287
alright so im going with that it is a starling but can any one tell me about how old they think it is and if u think its a male or female?

and i aslo get the feeling that some people dont like starlings, why is that?

They were introduced from Europe and compete too successfully with native birds, Kat. And I think your bird is too young to sex. Wait till it grows up and starts looking like the picture of an adult that you posted.

Hi KatgoesWoopah

I am told that they do make good pets. And I don't think they are covered by the Migratory bird act so it should be legal for you to keep it.
Beetovan(sorry spelling), had one as a pet and it inspired him a great deal in his Compositions. Also they are incredible singers and mimics, and a few people I know who have them say they are a real joy.
If I ever found a dieing Starling chick I think I would keep one also.
The adult picture that was posted for you is a fall adult plumage bird so you might not see anything like that for another few months. But keep your eye out in September and August, you will be surprised how bright they plumage get's.
On the negative side, these birds are introduced species, and kill a lot of native birds in North America due to there success. However I think these birds are far less damaging than House Sparrows and out of control native birds like Brown Headed Cowbirds. Although I could be wrong about this....
Enjoy your knew freind

Ps...Call a local re-habber and ask them what you should feed a baby Starling, but don't tell her you have one, or they might get all "holier than thou" and tell you to bring it in to them.
Riley.

all thanks i want to keep him but i dont thik my dad will let me. r there diffrent kind of starlings because i have noticed diffrent ones on the internet like ones with diffrent color paterings like this one: and the pic above...or do they kind of change color durring the year...?

i like how this starling looks i dont know how people could say that they r blend

cal1.jpg

KatgoesWoopah said:
.... r there diffrent kind of starlings because i have noticed diffrent ones on the internet like ones with diffrent color paterings ......
cal1.jpg

Worldwide there are lots of different types of starlings - in all sorts of different colours. Personally I love East Africa's Golden-breasted Starling but I also have a soft spot for the common European Starling.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back