• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berylline Problems (1 Viewer)

skye22

I am new to your forum and was hoping that someone might be able to be of help to me. I live in Mexico and normally have 3 to 4 hummingbird species in my yard but our native Beryllines have taken over all my feeders. After looking on the web I have tried various methods to prevent this, such as putting the feeders closer together, further apart, hiding sight lines to each feeder and nothing has worked. They bully almost every other hummer that enters the yard. I would very much appreciate knowing if someone has an answer to this problem. We miss our Magnificent and Broadbills because they don`t stand a chance.
Thank you!

I am new to your forum and was hoping that someone might be able to be of help to me. I live in Mexico and normally have 3 to 4 hummingbird species in my yard but our native Beryllines have taken over all my feeders. After looking on the web I have tried various methods to prevent this, such as putting the feeders closer together, further apart, hiding sight lines to each feeder and nothing has worked. They bully almost every other hummer that enters the yard. I would very much appreciate knowing if someone has an answer to this problem. We miss our Magnificent and Broadbills because they don`t stand a chance.
Thank you!

Hello skye22, welcome to the forum.
Obviously you have knowledge of what needs to be done to try and minimize the aggression. At the same time, perhaps we should not anthropomorphize the birds we love. I'm as guilty as anyone in that regard. At times, stress as a result of unseen predators can amplify intraspecific aggression, with the bird most physically capable coming out on top. Maybe keeping a close eye for feral domesticated threats lurking nearby (eg...cats, dogs) could help. Probably a repeated mantra you have heard but, more and smaller feeders, dispersed more widely. Advantageous perches and sightlines minimized, as you indicate you have already done. Maybe a water source with a trickler/sprayer assembly would serve to spread the birds out. Most all hummers would not drink from it, but many appreciate the aspect of projected water used for grooming, a manufactured rain, as it were.

It's only my opinion....When we make a choice to provide supplemental forage, we are bound to laws of nature and are obligated to remain as passive and nonintrusive as possible. By interfering, in favoring one native species over others, that tendency puts us in a position of being the bully we rail against.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back