• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lantern Fly Problem (1 Viewer)

driftwoodms14

United States
Hello all. I am new to the site. I enjoy visiting my aunt who has a beautiful yard and a modest bird feeder. However, lately the yard has a significant amount of Lantern Flies. I am from Pennsylvania and wonder if anyone is dealing with this problem. Has anyone had success eliminating these invasive pests? My aunt and I would like to get back to enjoying the yard. Thanks for your time.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Thankfully, I haven’t been in an area that have been invaded by the beasts. This might help:

Hi driftwoodms and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I live in Eastern PA, which is where the lanternflies first were found. What we've seen is after 2 or 3 years, the birds discover that the lanternflies are edible, and the numbers drop significantly.

Other than what they say in the attachments from the others, kill them on sight if you can. They are quick buggers, though.

Hi driftwood and a very warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach.

We don't yet have SLF in South Carolina, but clearly, this insect is on the move (just ask our neighbors to the north!), so we are asking everyone to please be on the lookout for this insect. Should it arrive, the potential damage to our state's agriculture and natural resources could be severe. They've already invaded North Carolina so I'm sure they'll make their way to SC before long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back