• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zambia and Botswana August/September 2016 (1 Viewer)

Pat MS

We travelled from London to Livingstone in Zambia via Johannesburg. There were 22 mostly non-birders in the group. This was our first experience of group travel as we are normally independent travellers, arranging our own itinerary.

The first three nights were spent at the Avani Victoria Falls resort. As well as being located short walk to the falls themselves, the hotel gives good birding opportunities within the grounds and along the Zambezi.

The lake within the grounds supports Pied and Giant Kingfishers, African Openbill and Glossy Ibis. There is also a large Southern Masked Weaver colony. We noticed that the Weavers appeared first thing in the morning and began tending their nests, disappearing during the day.

Walking to the Falls we saw Trumpeter Hornbill, Schalow's Turaco and a single Marico Sunbird. This was to be the only sunbird of our trip as it was the dry season and very little was in flower. The birds were therefore very visible, due to the reduced amount of foliage, and often to be found congregated around the waterholes. 41 species were seen in all, including 12 lifers.

Moving on to the Chobe Safari Lodge in northern Botswana for 7 nights: this is situated on the banks of the Chobe River and just a few minutes' drive to the gates of the National Park.

Away from the central part of the hotel, there is good birding within the grounds near the campsite. The birds are mostly quite confiding and included Blue Waxbill, Black collared Barbet, Tropical Boubou, White-browed Robin Chat, Coppery tailed Coucal and Golden Weaver.

We had several boat trips in our package and took an extra one in a small boat with a guide. The guides are all knowledgeable and the small boat lets you get very close to the birds on an island in the Chobe River. We saw Whiskered Tern, African Skimmer, several species of heron (including Goliath)and egret, African Spoonbill, Brown-hooded and Malachite Kingfisher, Long-toed, Crowned, White headed and Spur-winged Lapwings, Water Thick-knee. African Fish Eagles were in abundance.

Several game drives at different times of day were also included. These were slightly less enjoyable in birding terms as the priority of the drivers and most of the group was to see the big cats. At one time there were 25 vehicles, each carrying up to 10 people, jockeying for position to view three lions. I still managed to see the likes of Kori Bustard, Marabou Stork, the ubiquitous Lilac-breasted Roller, African Marsh Harrier, Martial Eagle and Red-necked Falcon. 3 species of bee eater: Little, White-fronted and Southern Carmine were seen.

104 species were seen in Botswana, including 40 lifers. This would have been considerably more had I been with a birding group. My only previous experience of African birding has been on a few occasions in South Africa so this was a great opportunity to see different birds.

Attachments

• African Fish Eagle.jpg
    African Fish Eagle.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Blue Waxbill.jpg
    Blue Waxbill.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Goliath Heron.jpg
    Goliath Heron.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Brown Hooded Kingfisher.jpg
    Brown Hooded Kingfisher.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Water thick-knee.jpg
    Water thick-knee.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 17
More pics:

Attachments

• Trumpeter Hornbill.jpg
    Trumpeter Hornbill.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 27
  • African Openbill.jpg
    African Openbill.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Kori Bustard.jpg
    Kori Bustard.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Lilac breasted Roller.jpg
    Lilac breasted Roller.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 19
  • White browed Robin Chat.jpg
    White browed Robin Chat.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for that report. I'd like to agree with you about the river trips from Chobe Safari Lodge. The young man who was the official boat guide knew his stuff, and pointed it out in a quiet but effective way. I seemed to be the only one who complimented him and gave him a tip (out of fifty people).

But as you say, most people were interested in mammals. If I were a guide, or a tour company, I would try to interest my clients in birds as well as mammals by giving them a lecture or two at the beginning of the trip. I think the customers would find their trip much more interesting than they had expected. These days, my wife and I travel independently (i.e. we hire a driver and guide just for the two of us), but one time I was with a small Japanese group in Uganda and people were getting grumpy because we didn't find much that they wanted to see in a morning drive. We were ten minutes from camp, so I said that we would be able to find ten interesting birds in this time if they paid attention, and I gave them a small lecture on the role of birds in the environment we were in. And we did find the birds. And they were surprised, and became altogether more cheerful.

Because of me, this company now does bird-focused tours in East Africa (but unfortunately they don't think my Japanese is good enough for them to pay me to guide them).

In late December on a single cruise from Chobe , we got a number of birds including Black Egret, Slaty Egret and Openbilled Stork in the same shot, and Purple Heron (a favourite bird of mine).

Heh, we've done the same, turned people on trips to South Africa and Costa Rica onto the birds (one or two even became birders):t: It also helped us by increasing the number of eager spotters!

Hmm, wish I could have persuaded the others on our trip to Botswana last year to be a bit more birdy! I made a right spectacle of myself when we came across Pel's Fishing Owl, and told them that birders have done lots of trips to Africa without seeing it. Met with stony faces for the most part!

But as you say, most people were interested in mammals.

In my experience it's often even narrower than that, and a lot of people are only interested in mammals they have heard of, or just Big Five. I remember being furious about a couple on a trip in Kenya who were moaning because they hadn't seen many lions on one game drive (in spite of having seen plenty on previous drives), even though they'd had good views of giant forest hog. Didn't deserve to be out there.

And Pat, I'm really enjoying reading this, so thanks for taking the trouble. There's a few things in there I've missed on previous trips, and you're making me want to go back!

Cheers

James

Most stupid question of the trip: why is it a (Brown-hooded) Kingfisher when it doesn't look like our Kingfishers?

Most people were only interested if the birds were brightly coloured or big and vicious-looking.

I enquired about hiring a private guide for land-based birding but was told it wasn't possible (i.e. the company arranging our activities didn't do them and wouldn't suggest anyone else).

Most stupid question of the trip: why is it a (Brown-hooded) Kingfisher when it doesn't look like our Kingfishers?

There are dozens of different species of Kingfishers around the world, with several looking quite like our familiar little blue & orange number, but many more that don't. Some feed on fish as ours do, but again many do not, inhabiting wood and scrubland, not necessarily near water, feeding on insects, small mammals, birds, reptiles. Here's a small collection to give some sort of idea...

http://orientalbirdimages.org/birdi...rd_ID=393&Bird_Image_ID=53538&Bird_Family_ID=

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/384705993142309333/

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/shovel-billed-kingfisher-clytoceyx-rex/female

http://www.mangoverde.com/wbg/picpages/pic89-81-1.html

http://www.pbase.com/ingotkfr/image/91924408

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/banded-kingfisher-royalty-free-image/155921385

... so you see, the turquoise streak of lightning you see flashing past along the river really is just the tip of the iceberg where Kingfishers are concerned!

Cheers

James

Most people were only interested if the birds were brightly coloured or big and vicious-looking.

I enquired about hiring a private guide for land-based birding but was told it wasn't possible (i.e. the company arranging our activities didn't do them and wouldn't suggest anyone else).

Did you see Giant Kingfisher? A real monster!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back