• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D mkIII new firmware (1 Viewer)

"Improves AF tracking in specific conditions.

a) Improves AF tracking when shooting outdoors in bright environments.
b) Improves AF tracking of low-contrast subjects."

Now I'm confused. (OK, I usually am, but lets not go there...)

I thought Canon had finally got to the bottom of the 1DMk3 AF problems with the sub-mirror fix. I was just waiting for Rob Galbraith to report back that the fix had worked, for shipments of new cameras to restart and lots of happy campers all reporting their fixed cameras focusing beautifully. Then I planned to order myself a 1DMk3 early in the new year.

So, where are we now? The test report from Rob Galbraith is a no-show so far (originally planned for last week) and now Canon have thrown a cat among the pigeons by announcing a firmware fix for what seems like the same AI-Servo tracking problem that the sub-mirror was meant to have fixed. So should I be worried? Is this:
(a) an interim workround to improve matters until the hardware fix is rolled out
(b) a completely separate issue with AI-Servo
(c) a sign that the hardware fix isn't completely solving the problems and they're still trying to find the problems?

On the DPReview forums, opinion of the new 1.1.3 firmware seems to vary wildly (no change there, then!). Some people are claiming its given them big focusing improvements - especially in one shot mode (which Canon don't mention!) and one or two others are saying things have got worse. And one or two say it has introduced a significant new problem with some 3rd party lenses no longer auto-focusing properly.

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep my ear to the ground and see what happens over the next few weeks.

Well i got my replacment blue dot mk3 yesterday and loded 1.1.3 firmaware , it is a lot better than the first mk3 i had That had to have the shutter Pumped to try and get focus.
the firmware is nothing to worie about There will always be update's for one reson or anothere ( i only use canon Lenses ) so dont know of problems with Indi lenses.
the hardware fix is still on for those cameras with sub mirrow problems ,im not sure how related the A1 SERVO problem is to the sub mirrow fix servo on my new mk3 is more stable and does not jump about like it use to.
iv only had it a day so early to make a proper accesment but im pleased up to now.
Rob.

Thanks Rob. Good to know its looking good so far.

I'll probably take the plunge after Christmas if the news stays good.

I see Rob Galbraith has delayed his test results again - expected next week now.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back