• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

west wales holiday (1 Viewer)

sooseee

As a newish birder have just spent a brilliant week in west wales with Cambrian Bird holidays which has taught me so much. Bird watching not bird spotting!!
Some magic moments- finding a late puffin on Skomer with a large sand eel, watching two kingfishers chasing each other over a pond, stunning views of two adult and one juvenile red kite ,going to the Dyfi estuary to watch Sandwich terns for the first time, then finding out a rare bird was in the vicinity- a gull billed tern- and being able to watch it hawking for insects and flying close,seeing a knot in beautiful Summer plumage- I could go on!
Graham Walker was really patient and helpful and knew his patch so well.
Have been inspired since coming home and spent ages watching 100=+ curlews early eve.
If anyone would like to know more re the organisation and holiday please pm me. My eyes have been opened , my ID skills honed and I've been really encouraged.

Hi sooseee, I've just returned from a week in Pembrokeshire no mega rarities but some excellent bird watching and spectacular scenery.

Hi sooseee, I've just returned from a week in Pembrokeshire no mega rarities but some excellent bird watching and spectacular scenery.
Hi Johnny
Been away again- where in Pembroke- did you go to the Islands- gannets on Grassholm amazing.Would love to go to Skolkholm and be around when Shearwaters come in at night- maybe next year! Happy Birding
Sue

I am going to Pembrokeshire for two weeks tommorrow :king: :t: .
I am hoping for a possbile late Puffin, but I get the idea you only saw one and that was probably really late.
Please could you give me some details on what else was at Skomer becuase we are going on the second day (Monday)

Hi Johnny
Been away again- where in Pembroke- did you go to the Islands- gannets on Grassholm amazing.Would love to go to Skolkholm and be around when Shearwaters come in at night- maybe next year! Happy Birding
Sue

We stayed in a cottage a couple of miles South of St. Davids, we were quite close to the coastal footpath. I didn't visit any of the islands but I did a bit of sea watching though for most of the week the wind was light and from the South or South East, Plenty of Gannets around also managed to see Fulmar, Little Gull, Guillemots, Razorbills, Rock Pipits, Chough, Ravens & Buzzards there were also plenty of Stonechats and Whitethroats along the coastal path. Oh yes and a yellow Legged Herring Gull on the last day. On the way back home we stopped at a car park North of Aberystwyth and saw Goldcrest, Crossbill and Siskins pluss a couple of Red Kites from the car. I'd love to do the night watch for the Shearwaters too!
John

Hi David,
Yes, the Puffin was a late one-the latest seen by Graham, the 'pro' and a regular visitor ,was 4th Aug, our single one was 9th. Skomer Warden said there were 5 around, but I would guess they've gone. Also saw fulmars and young nesting, kittiwakes on ledges, lovely showing of little owl, you might catch some of the passage migrants too. Went later last year-(no puffin) but saw redshanks, greenshanks , a spotted redshank and a white wagtail.
Have a great trip
Sue.

Thanks for reply, Johnny.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back