• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdstrike!!! (1 Viewer)

rollingthunder

England
Having commented on a dozen posts this morning (i missed yesterday) i came across this alarming incident.....for the bird:C

Below is the RT video link plus a coupla screengrabs at 00:14 - i initially thought a raptor but up close and personal it looks like a large wader. I thought Stone Curlew on wing pattern #1 then a Vanellus on #2 - thoughts from you lot...

https://www.rt.com/russia/472088-bird-hits-cockpit-video/

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• AE2A031E-1BAD-43C0-BBAE-CCB63CA633F5.jpeg
    AE2A031E-1BAD-43C0-BBAE-CCB63CA633F5.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 7AA36D94-D70C-4F27-A1DD-28E253CA37CC.jpeg
    7AA36D94-D70C-4F27-A1DD-28E253CA37CC.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 253
Raptors have short toes, thick short legs that are feathered to the end of the tibiatarsus ( or even more distally to the tarsometatarsus in some). This bird has long toes and long skinny legs and the distal end of the tibiatarsus is unfeathered. Surely not a raptor.

Andy

Last edited:
Raptors have short toes, thick short legs that are feathered to the end of the tibiatarsus ( or even more distally to the tarsometatarsus in some). This bird has long toes and long skinny legs and the distal end of the tibiatarsus is unfeathered. Surely not a raptor.

Andy

Yes. And plumage wise all fits Stone Curlew, which is the best answer.

Hmmm..., it's hard to believe this is a high soaring stone-curlew and not a raptor...

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 157
Look at the second close up video grab in the OP. What says it is soaring and not in powered flight?

Have you watched the video? I've viewed it a couple of dozen times and frozen it just before impact.....probably a nano second after image 2. Remains a BOP rather than a wader for me. Would like to be able to capture and show that image.

Have you watched the video? I've viewed it a couple of dozen times and frozen it just before impact.....probably a nano second after image 2. Remains a BOP rather than a wader for me. Would like to be able to capture and show that image.

Underwing pattern does look like SC but it looks to have buffy underwing coverts?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the long legs on Laurie's 2nd screengrab are actually legs - they look quite unnatural, as if maybe part of the aircraft.

Yeah, having downloaded the video and seen it frame by frame I agree this is no Stone Curlew. Wing shape is always rounded with visible fingers and plumage wise (colour pattern) it's definitely not a match (I take back what I wrote above). There's a pale flash on the primaries bases (about to half their length) which does not continue to the secondary coverts which is not a match for Great Bustard either. The leg-like structures visible on the 2nd vid-grab above are actually legs, but they don't look so long on the bird when it's further away from the plane and the apparent length is possibly an optical illusion due to distortion (due to the proximity to the lens, I'd guess a fish-eye like kind of lens). Could be a raptor, but I'm not making any bets anymore :)

Last edited:
The leg-like structures visible on the 2nd vid-grab above are actually legs, but they don't look so long on the bird when it's further away from the plane and the apparent length is possibly an optical illusion due to distortion (due to the proximity to the lens, I'd guess a fish-eye like kind of lens).

I'd thought about distortion, also maybe due to speed; not enough fps.

I was wondering where too - somewhere in Russia? (Asian Russia or beyond even ... )?? And other bustard species ... (or even bird species ... )

;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back