• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody use the E-510? (1 Viewer)

Perhaps I reduced the file size too much?

Here's another go, hopefully with less deterioration than the first.....

.....Ah well, still looks better on my computer!

Attachments

• Robin 2.jpg
    Robin 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
hey guys, I seem to be slowly getting better results with the 70-300, but I am still waiting for some better weather :)

here are a couple of my better shots so far, I am also considering getting a flash next?

Attachments

• goldfinch3-800.jPG
    goldfinch3-800.jPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 107
  • robin2-800.JPG
    robin2-800.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 107
  • robin3-800.JPG
    robin3-800.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 99
Since my post on 9th June I have bought an OM fit Zuiko 300 mm f4.5 secondhand from Ffordes of Beauly, Inverness. My reason for doing this, when I already have a Sigma 50-500 4/3 mount lens for my Olympus 510, was to give me a lighter lens that I could hand hold while walking about in woodland. I also wanted to see what a 'prime' lens can do vs a zoom. I bought a cheap copy of the expensive OM to 4/3 adaptor on E-Bay. I can also use my old Tamron 80-210 macro lens and Olympus standard and wide-angle lenses on the 510 now. One has to manually stop down the lens, so use the camera in aperture priority mode. The absence of autofocus is not really a problem, as I find that I can often focus better on the bird than the autofocus can, especially when a bird is among branches. The same applies to macro shots of plants etc., where one is often looking for a particular effect. The extra 1.5 stops exposure of the 300 (f4.5 vs 6.3 on the Sigma) allows faster shutter speeds or lower ISO number. I have yet to use the new combo in anger(!) but a few test shots were fine. More info on using old Olympus lenses on the E -series camera bodies can be foound on John Foster's excellent website www.biofos.com/cornucopia

I read a tip somewhere recently, which has proved to be very useful on the E-510. I now leave the preview screen set to 'highlights', which immediately shows up any blown highlights and allows me to retake the shot, where possible, with a bit of -ev dialled in. It's certainly better than discovering all those blocked in whites when you upload the files to the computer at home.

Ron

I read a tip somewhere recently, which has proved to be very useful on the E-510. I now leave the preview screen set to 'highlights', which immediately shows up any blown highlights and allows me to retake the shot, where possible, with a bit of -ev dialled in. It's certainly better than discovering all those blocked in whites when you upload the files to the computer at home.

Ron

The thing to bear in mind about the highlight blinker is that it's a bit conservative on the E-510 and will flash before the highlight is actually blown. In practice you'll find it's OK to have a few small areas of blinking. The other thing which can help JPEG shooters with bright, contrasty subjects is to use the Muted picture mode with the in-camera contrast set to -2.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back