• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

At the risk of dragging this thread further off topic . . . missed that one, what was the story?? :eek!:

There was a bird on an inland gravel pit/lake in Lincolnshire. I remember it being difficult to see.

I can't even remember the year or indeed the time of year. I suspect that it must have been late autumn and the bird still in full summer plumage so people were talking about plumage being indicative of Antarctic Tern. Of course, the far more obvious possibility is a Northern Hemisphere breeder in abnormal moult!

It is up there with the Scilly Starling, Landguard Chiffchaff, Filey Dams Caspian Reed Warbler, etc, etc........... I try and forget these things as it gives me nightmares. :-C

All the best

Any way - back on topic:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/2017/08/30/700/

"When we started to plan the Big Year, one of the birders we turned to for advice was Bosse Carlsson, Swedish WP lister. Bosse thought that maybe 650 was a realistic upper goal for a Big Year, later on when the planning started to become more detailed we realized that maybe even 700 was attainable. Now that we’re at 700 before the end of August we’re starting to fantasize about 750."

I find it very difficult to believe that their sights were that low. Are they managing expectations?

Digging back through the thread on 19th December last year:-

If I was setting a target for someone, it would be:-
Category 1 - 323 species
Category 2 - 229 species
Category 3 - 105 species
Category 5 - 36 species
Category 6 - 20 species
Category 7 - 7 species
Target - 720 species

Workings attached on categories and happy to expose my thinking and be corrected on any!

Of course, that was on a Netfugl basis which would equate to 740's on IOC...........

All the best

Paul

According to the itinerary they are visiting Falsterbo from tomorrow on. Not much left there. Just Dotterel? I don't think that they will get a rare raptor that they hadn't so far otherwise in the WP. But probably other vagrants? I don't have personal experience with Falsterbo, so I would be pleased to get an answer from people having experiences...

I know what you mean, and not the spelling ;) I always remember when you saw your first Rüppell's (very well) in Sagres.

Great memories :) :)
How you stopped the car in the middle of the national road shouting "Ruppell's Vulture!!" is something I surely won't forget.

Hopefully we'll see a few more this next October ;)

Their bird is young bird right? My latest birds have been older birds with more striking undercovert patterns and some undertail scaling. Judging these vultures in the shade and with no means of comparison is always tricky.

According to the itinerary they are visiting Falsterbo from tomorrow on. Not much left there. Just Dotterel? I don't think that they will get a rare raptor that they hadn't so far otherwise in the WP. But probably other vagrants? I don't have personal experience with Falsterbo, so I would be pleased to get an answer from people having experiences...

I think they are there for PR, not for getting extra ticks.

They got them going up then, now they're coming down. We have them as passage migrants in spring and autumn in St P but they don't breed.

Too early for RLB passage as yet. The WP Team are giving a presentation in the area, will probably do some birding. Fantastic site at this time of year, though would need to be very lucky to pick up a yeartick, especially now that Long Tailed Skua is in the bag.
Some goodies in Ireland now such as Pacific Diver, Laughing Gull, Baird's Sandpiper(think they need it?) Not sure if Forsters Tern is still around Louth, though may well be unreported as it is a long staying bird. Also been a few Long billed Dowitcher in recent days and Lesser Redpoll should be easy in the right habitat.
Sabines Gull and Sooty Shearwater should be dispatched easily now at the Bridges of Ross...

Last edited:
Great memories :) :)
How you stopped the car in the middle of the national road shouting "Ruppell's Vulture!!" is something I surely won't forget.

Hopefully we'll see a few more this next October ;)

Their bird is young bird right? My latest birds have been older birds with more striking undercovert patterns and some undertail scaling. Judging these vultures in the shade and with no means of comparison is always tricky.

Yes, must be a young imm. I guess - hope they saw the bird a bit better than shown in the photo because on that alone its a tough ID. They did say they saw it with Griffons - that would help a lot as would seeing the upperparts...

If we find one or two very nice things during the bird festival time in Sagres this October it might even bring the WP team - who knows? ;)

Last edited:

small matter of a bird fest maybe...?

There is also a Dotterel in The Netherlands, supported by a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper ;)

They got them going up then, now they're coming down. We have them as passage migrants in spring and autumn in St P but they don't breed.

Too early for RLB passage as yet. The WP Team are giving a presentation in the area, will probably do some birding

We see them in St Petersburg this early (Sept) and they are said to be wintering in the UK from October. They'll typically hang arond a few days wherever they stop en-route or at least they do in Russia so could be moving down now?

It's moot anyway as they've seen it already.

A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back